Chapter 39; Ride Home

Mackenzie's POV

I woke up at 9:10. I look next to me and Maddie is still sleeping. Being the greatest sister in the world, I woke her up by jumping on the bed.

She woke up slowly and looked at me laughing.

"I never woke you up," Maddie laughed.

"I know, but, figured to wake you up since we have like three hours to be ready," I defended.

"Okay, okay, you win. You're right. Thank you," Maddie said, getting out of bed.

We both got up and walked to the kitchen. The girls stood there gathered in the kitchen. Their boyfriends there too. They smiled at us and waved.

"Finally you're both awake!" Kendall exclaims.

We laughed, I took a seat while Maddie went to Jack. He wrapped her in a hug and held her by the waist. I sighed, since I'm like major third wheeling.

"Don't be so depressed Kenzie! You're gonna get Johnny back," Paige said.

"Maybe, and plus, whenever I talk about the bullying and my problems when I was younger it makes me depressed," I say.

"Don't worry about that. You're smart, and you've always been, you just needed people to remind you that," Maddie said.

I nodded remembering when I was little when Maddie and everyone was trying to get me to read something. I struggled so hard.

Flashback

I sat on Maddie's bed, with Maddie and her friends. They're trying to help me read a story, also with my pronunciation of some words.

I furrowed my eyebrows as I struggled reading the page.

"Maddie, I can't do this," I pouted.

"Yes you can Kenzie, you can do it. Try it again," Maddie insisted.

"We believe in you Kenzie," Chloe smiled.

Maddie's friends are smart. They were in sixth grade. Except for Brooke though, she's in ninth.

They keep saying I can do it, but, I know I can't. I keep hearing Brandon's voice calling me stupid.

I started to cry because it's true. I'm not smart like mommy and daddy, Maddie and her friends and their families, my friends and their families say. I'm stupid, they're trying to be nice.

"Why you crying Kenzie?" Maddie asked, hugging me.

"B-Because I-I'm not smart," I admit.

"Yes you are Mackenzie," Brooke said. "Here, come here."

I crawled over to Brooke and she sits me on her lap. She wiped my eyes and gave me a small smile.

"How about, each of us reads a page with you? If you get stuck we'll help you. Then when we get to the last page, you read it by yourself," Brooke suggested.

I nodded and looked at the book.

"Want to try a different book?" Nia suggested.

I nodded and handed her the book. She leaves then comes back with another Dr. Suess book. Oh the Places You'll Go!

I grab the book and smiled. It's a big book, but, I still want to try it. I open the book and go page by page with everyone.

"And when things start to ha-hap-happen, don't worry. Don't s-st-stew.
Just go right along.
You'll start ha-happen-happening too," Paige and I read.

I struggled with the bigger words but I eventually got it. When I got to the last page I looked at everyone nervously.

"It's okay if you can't get some of the names correct. We just want you to try," Maddie reassured.

I shake my head sadly. "I can't do it," I mumbled.

"Yes you can," Brooke counters. "How about, if you read this page, then the whole book, by yourself, we will take you and your friends out for ice cream. How does that sound?"

I nodded and looked at the page again. I read it but, I struggled really bad. The names were to hard. They said it was okay though. Now I have to read it by myself. I'm scared because I don't want to mess up.

I read through the book, getting to the last page again. "So... be your name B-Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or M-Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea, you're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your m-mountain is waiting. So...get on your way!"

I closed the book and looked up at them. They looked shocked. I smiled and was tackled in a hug.

"You did that all by yourself! It was so good!" Maddie said.

I smiled and looked at Brooke. She looked proud of me.

"See you did that all by yourself. You didn't need us. Because you're so smart," Brooke smiled.

I smiled back even bigger. Happy I did it by myself.

End of flashback

We all smiled at the memory. And Brooke pats my back.

"I told you you are smart," Brooke states.

I smiled and nodded. They pushed me to get there. Now they're pushing me to get the guy that's been waiting for years.

-

We're in the car right now. It's been two hours so far. We're halfway there.

I'm stuck in the car with; Maddie, Jack, Kendall, Cameron, Paige and Nick.

Jack is driving, Maddie is in the passengers seat, me Kendall and Cameron are in the middle and Nick and Paige are in the last row.

Needless to say it's been interesting so far. But, it's been lit because, I mean I have the weird people in the same car.

After sometime we pulled over to get snacks and gas then we were back on our way. There were some views I didn't notice before. Now I do, and they're beautiful.

We drove for hours until we pulled up to the large house that Maddie and I called home. We parked the cars and got out.

Approaching the door. They didn't know we were on our way. So this is going to be a surprise for everyone.

I'm just nervous to see Johnny. We knocked at the door and waited and when it opened I took a deep breath prepared for what's about to happen.

Merry Christmas guys!

Here's the update figured I'd be nice. Anyhow two more chapters left!

I'm going to bed so have to cut this short.

Bye loves xoxo