Chapter 7; Secrets

Mackenzie's POV

After the mostly amazing day yesterday, I wanted to go back, but instead I decided it'd be better off if I didn't. Instead we're going down to John and Lauren's house to hang out.

After we got dropped we started walking to their house.

"Hey can we stop by my house real fast? I just need to get something real fast," I ask.

"Ya sure," they say.

Luckily my house is on the way to John and Lauren's. So after a some minutes of walking we walk up the driveway of my house.

"Who's car is that?" I wondered.

My friends shrugged and we walked closer to the house. In front of the strange car is my mothers car. Maybe it's a client I thought.

I open the front door and go upstairs to my room.

"Who do you think owns the car?" Brynn asked.

I shrug, "beats me. I'm guessing it's a client," I stated.

I grab the thing I needed and we start to walk out of my room when we hear something odd. We look at each other confused, then we hear it again.

It's coming from my parents room. What if the strange car is a robber? I pondered.

"Do you think someone is robbing the house?" John asked as we quietly approached the room.

"Maybe," I whisper.

We get to the door and see it's open a crack. Just enough so all of us can look through. I look inside and I see my mother and a strange man. They're talking right now.

"Melissa, what if we get caught?" The man asked.

"We won't, Kurt is at a meeting and Mackenzie is probably at a friends house," mom answered, wrapping her arms around his neck.

The start to kiss and make out. Then next thing we know they're undressing each other.

I gag in disgust. We go to leave but Hayden fell, causing a loud thud.

"Shit!" We mumbled.

I heard footsteps coming our way. Before I know it my mother, who is now dressed, is at the door. She looks at us shocked. Then her shocked expression turns sympathetic when she realizes I saw her cheating on my father.

"Mackenzie," she says.

We all stand up quickly and rush to the stairs. We slide down the banister and jump off running out the door.

"Mackenzie sweetie wait!" Mom calls out after me.

I don't stop. I sped up running down the block to John and Lauren's house. I get there before anyone else does. I sighed and sit down under one of their trees.

I started crying. Everything I just saw, does dad know about this? Is this why they're fighting? Or one of the reasons?

So many things rush through my head, I didn't notice my friends sitting next to me under the tree.