Chapter 9; The Plan

Mackenzie's POV

I walk to the lunch room and see my friends sitting at our table. I lightly smiled and approached the table. Taking a seat between Nadia and Brynn.

"What's up Kenz?" Jacob asked.

"Tired," I sighed stealing a chip from John.

"Ya sure just take my food," John said sarcastically.

"Why thank you," I said in a high pitched voice.

They laughed and had their own conversation. I pretended to listen but I wasn't. I was thinking about something I wanted to ask them. I'm not sure how I even ask.

I might just bring it up out of no where I guess. It'll be the best bet I guess.

"So Mack what about you?" Lauren asked.

"What?"

"Halloween, watch movies in the basement and hang out. What do you say? Wanna come?" Lauren explained.

"Oh uh ya sure."

"You okay Mack?" Hayden asked.

"You seem spaced out and distant," Nadia stated.

"Oh ya, I'm just thinking about something," I say.

"What's up?" Carson question, taking a grape and eating it.

I sighed and looked at them. "Have you guys ever wanted to run?"

"What do you mean run? Like just run around?" John asked.

"No like, runaway. Like leave this place, see what else is there besides Pittsburgh," I explain.

"I mean we all want to leave one day. And everyone's wanted to runaway at least once in their life," Hayden explained.

"Why are you asking?" Jacob questioned.

I hesitate, "I was watching Forrest Gump last night. I don't know, it just came to my head while I was watching," I lied.

They gave me a look and nodded. "Well, think, you got us, right after high school we're traveling. That's been our plan since fifth grade," Brynn explained.

I nodded remembering our pact we made back in fifth grade.

They continued with their conversation and I sat there thinking more and more about running away. It sounded nice. It sounded perfect.

Where would I go?

I need to plan this more tonight.

-

I step into my room closing the door, making sure I locked it. I walk to my desk and take out this map.

I pin it up against the wall and look. I don't want to go too far, but I don't want to be too close. I want go somewhere, where someone cares about me. There would be no fighting.

I placed a pin on Pittsburgh and looked. I saw New York and smiled. I placed a pin on Manhattan, where Maddie lived.

"Okay, I have where I want to go. I still need the where I'm going to stay though," I muttered to myself.

It takes about six and a half hours to get to Manhattan by car. So with that, train is the next option, train takes longer so approximately almost ten hours for train. I'm not sitting on a train. My next idea is crazy, but it's crazy enough to give me time to myself for a bit.

There is 372 miles between Pittsburgh and Manhattan. With that being said, it would take me 121 hours to get there walking. Now take 121 hours and turn that to days, it will take me about five days.