Chapter 24; Late Night Talks

Mackenzie's POV

I looked at my sister and sighed.

"When I saw mom having an affair on dad, I kind of just shut down in a way. I kind of started crying and I don't know. Then they told me that they might get divorced I thought I'd be happy but, I don't know how I feel," I admit. "Then stuff with John is confusing right now."

"Why didn't you call me or something? I would've helped you," Maddie asked.

"I just didn't think that you'd drop everything to help me. I mean, look at everything you have, I just figured I'm your last concern. You don't need any distractions," I admit.

"Aw Kenz," Maddie said, stroking my hair. "I'll always be there to help you. No matter what, I am always here even when I'm miles away. You're worth dropping everything for, you're not a distraction, why would you even think that?" Maddie asked.

"Because I mean, seriously, look at everything that you have. You have so much going on, I just thought I'm still your annoying little sister like you said when you were sixteen."

Maddie sighed and held me tighter. Twirling my hair on her finger.

"I was sixteen and stupid Mackenzie. When I said that I was probably on the phone with Paige or someone. Yes you're my little sister, yes you can be annoying but, that doesn't mean I don't love you. I've adored you for years Mackenzie. When mom and dad told me that mom was having a baby I was so excited. I remember telling everybody about it, then when you were born and I got to hold you for the first time, I remember promising I'd be the greatest big sister ever," Maddie explained. "I adored you so much, you had the biggest brown eyes and you were so chubby. I made you laugh for the first time. I've always been there for you. There's never not been a day where I haven't, and I won't stop that now."

I look at her and hugged her. I tried not to cry the whole time but, now, I just let them fall.

"Maddie, I miss you so much. I can't stay at home alone with mom and dad fighting anymore," I cried. I just let everything I've wanted to say for awhile come out. "I just want you to come home," I finally say.

She holds me tighter and rubs my back.

"I'll be home for about a week and a half, I'll be with you the whole time. I promise," Maddie whispered.

I nodded and cried into her chest.

"Mack, you're going to make yourself sick," Maddie said, as if she was a mom.

I slowly calmed down and looked up at my sister. She wiped away the tears with her thumb and kissed my forehead.

"I'm always here Mackenzie, never think twice about calling me. You know that," Maddie states.

I nodded.

"Now, what's going on with John?" Maddie questioned.

"A few days after we found out about mom, we sat down and talked for awhile and we kissed twice. Then he's like I'm always here for you I'll never leave you. Later the same day, after I had my panic attack and told everyone to leave he stayed. He didn't say anything, he just sat there, then when we were walking up to the front door, he kissed me again and said that's for you to know I'll always catch you when you fall. Love you Kenzie," I explained. "I don't know what to think."

"Kenzie, I think he really likes you," Maddie tells me honestly. "What about the kisses, were they good?"

I nodded, "they were good. Like really good."

"I say go for it. If he makes you happy, ask him out. But, can we talk about in the morning I'm kind of tired Mackenzie," Maddie said.

I nodded and we both fell asleep.