Chapter 11; First Day

Mackenzie's POV

I ran down the street, I followed the directions my phone was giving me. I started to slow down and walk when I knew for certain that I wasn't in my neighborhood.

Luckily, since it's Halloween, it looks like my costume. So, nobody questions they just mind their own business and watch their children.

I listen to the children talking. They all seem so happy. I sometimes wonder what that feels like.

After sometime, I lose all the children and their parents. I'm on a highway type thing. There's cars rushing by and I'm just on the side. Trying not to be run over.

I walked for awhile, not knowing exactly where I am, I just follow the directions. I make the lefts and the rights I needed to. After awhile there was basically nothing. Just like my life.

I pull out my phone and look at the time. It's almost midnight. I sighed.

"Might as well keep walking," I muttered to myself.

I walked for awhile until my phone died. That's when I was really screwed.

"Fuck me," I muttered.

I looked around and didn't see really much. There were a bit of cars on the street. I wasn't going stop them. I didn't want to get kidnapped or killed.

I walked around for a bit then after awhile I finally gave up. I sighed and walked around for a bit more and found a place to stay.

It was a small motel, it was still open. I can't really sleep out on the streets.

I walk in and see an older woman. She looks up and sees me, smiling.

"Hello there," she smiled.

"Hi, I need a room for the night," I say.

"No problem sweetheart, do you have a card?" She asked.

I closed my eyes for a moment then open my eyes. "No, I only have cash."

She nodded and looked at me, "well, we'll see what we can do sweetie," she smiled.

"Thank you so much," I say.

"No problem sweetheart, just go sit down and I'll get the room ready," she said.

I nodded and took a seat. I waited several minutes until she returned. When she did she gestured me to follow her to the room.

"So here's your room key, your room number twenty on the second floor," she said, handing me the key.

She walks me to the room and opens the door with the other key she had.

"There's a queen bed, the tv, bathroom, dresser," she explained showing me around.

I nodded and smiled.

"There's an ice machine and a vending machine down the hall," the woman smiled, turning to me.

"Thank you so much," I say, looking to her name tag. "Barbra."

"No problem sweetheart. May I ask a question?" Barbra asked.

I nodded and put my bags down.

"Where are your parents?" Barbra asked.

"Oh, we got into a fight and they're in another hotel. I just needed to be away from them for awhile," I lied.

She nodded, "be safe sweetheart. I'm sure they don't want you to get hurt."

"Thank you. Also how much is the room?" I ask.

"It's on the house," she smiled, leaving the room and closing the door.