Chapter 17; Rides

Mackenzie's POV

I wake up the next morning I wake up pretty late. Then I remembered I forgot to set my alarm last night.

I checked the time and see it's 11:10. I sighed and got out of bed. I kind of felt sick honestly, which made me groan aloud. I can't be sick. Anyways I gathered the clothes I wanted to wear today and brought them in the bathroom with me.

I turn on the water and strip from my pajamas, hopping into the shower, I make sure it's a fast one. I want to make it to Maddie's house today. I don't want to get there any later than today.

I get out of the shower and change into my clothes. I dried my hair with the little hair dryer that's in the room.

I quickly did my hair and makeup then packed up. I check the time again. 12:15.

"Fuck," I muttered to myself.

There was a knock at the door. I walk over and answer it. Seeing Patrick on the other side.

"Hi there darling, you ready?" Patrick asked.

"Yes, I'm sorry I'm so late," I apologized.

"No don't worry, I took a power nap and just woke up a few minutes ago. Now let's get going," Patrick smiled.

He grabbed my bags and we walked out of the hotel, and to his car. He puts everything in the back of the Honda Civic (a/n: just so everyone knows he's not a pedophile) and gets in the drivers seat.

"Okay, so you can just drive me into Staten Island and then I'll take a bus to get to the ferry. From the ferry I'll get to my sisters apartment," I say.

"Are you sure you want to do that? It's New York, it's going to be very dangerous," Patrick warned.

I nodded, "yes it's fine. Plus I'm sure you have a family you want to see."

He nodded. "Okay, okay, if that's what you want to do then I'll do it," he said. "Are you hungry?"

I nodded.

"Okay, I'll stop at the McDonald's up the street," he said.

I nodded again and stared out the window as he drove. When he pulls up I tell him my order and he tells them.

"Here I have money," I say.

"No keep it. You're going to need it," Patrick insisted as he pulled up to the window.

I nodded and then I was handed the food. Finally we were on our way.

"How long is it?" I ask.

"It'll be about two hours," Patrick answered.

I nodded and stared out of the window. I watched the cars next to us drive by.

"So, why did you leave?" Patrick asked.

"What?"

"Why did you leave home?" Patrick repeated, being more clear.

"My parents were fighting, and I just needed to be away from everything. Just really needed to escape my life for a minute," I explained.

"You can never escape life. Life is a weird thing, it feels like a game, but in the end there's no winners or losers. We all come into the world the same way, we all end and go to the same place. But, in life as you get older, you realize, things happen for a reason. Whatever the reason it happens, there's always something good that comes in the end. Yes, we do have our 'escapes' whether it's listening to music or whatever, but, you can never actually escape life. You can never actually go anywhere else that's not life," Patrick explained. "No matter hard you try, you can't do it. Like I said though, going through hard times happens for a reason, but, whatever happens, in the end there's always something good."