Chapter 13; Denny's

Mackenzie's POV

I walk around, following the directions given to my by my phone. I realized I need to get up earlier to get farther in a day.

I decided to follow the directions as much as possible. My phone keeps going off with phone calls and texts from everyone. I can't help but to groan every time.

"I wish they'd forget about me," I muttered.

At one point I get a phone call from Maddie. I sighed. I want to answer, but, I really don't. They'll find out where I am. I know it.

I walk down an interstate and stay on the side. I start to feel hungry, I look over and see the nearest exit has a Wendy's.

I walked over and made my way down to the Wendy's.

It took about half an hour to get there, but I got there. I walked in and headed over to the front.

"Welcome to Wendy's what would you like?" The cash lady said.

"I'll have two number tens and a large drink," I say.

She nodded and placed my order. "For here or to go?"

"For here."

She nods and I paid the amount do and took a seat. I waited several minutes until I heard them call my name.

I walk to get my food and return to my table. I started to pick at my food. Eventually after twenty minutes, I started walking.

The GPS recalculated and gave me some new directions. I figured it's the best thing to do.

I decided to walk until it was around eleven twelve o'clock at night. That's when I'll find a hotel and spend the night.

I roamed around for awhile until I got hungry again. But, I knew the snacks I got weren't going to fill me up. I look around and see a Denny's sign.

"Thank god," I muttered.

I approach the sign and see the small diner standing in front of me. It's still open. Thank god it is.

I walk in, there's very few people there, several older people too. I stood there, waiting to be seated, when a man approached me and smiled.

"Just one?" He asked.

I nodded.

"Okay follow me," he said. I follow him, he takes me to a small booth. I placed down my bags and he places a menu in front of me.

Soon, my waitress comes over.

"My names Debra, I'll be your waitress, what can I get you to drink?" The waitress asked.

"I'll have a sprite please," I responded.

She smiled and nodded, leaving to go get my drink.

I look over the menu and know what I want to order, waiting for Debra to return.

I go through my phone and see all the text messages left by my friends and family. They keep asking where I am, and why I left.

I don't text back, I don't do anything. Just leave them on read.

When Debra returned, I told her my order then she goes to place it. I just sit there and twiddle my thumbs until she returns with my food.

I had my phone charging, so when I left I know where to go.

"Here you go sweet pea," Debra said, handing me my food.