9.| velvet

i like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it

by the 1975

victor blinked against the searing dimness of an unfamiliar bedroom, lying in unfamiliar bedsheets, and waited to appreciate the hangover that was leaning over him.

he managed to lever himself up, rubbing his tired, swollen eyes and running a hand through the matted silver hair that was obscuring his vision. from the dip in the mattress and the puckering of the bedsheets, he knew that he wasn't alone in bed, and shot a glance at the boy asleep beside his pillow, sheets drawn to his bare chest and a velvet choker still around his throat.

victor sighed at the sight of yuri katsuki, with his dark hair hiding his closed eyes, and he lay back down beside him, on his back, unsure of why he felt as if he had made mistake. sleeping with yuri was a big number on a long list of one night stands for victor nikiforov, but this one was different.

because the morning after, he was almost regretting what he had done, and was actually giving thought to what he had done the night before.

victor tried closing his eyes again, but he was wide awake, so he sat up again and started pacing the room. he considered drawing the grey blinds that the morning light had managed to seep around, but was hesitant to wake up yuri, and left them down.

he hunted around the floor for his boxers, and then his trousers and crumpled white shirt, which was lying on the back of a chair over a pastel blue tube top, and hurriedly buttoned it up.

victor headed for the door, but found himself looking back at the dimly lit bedroom he had spent the night in, and the boy lying on the side of the bed closest to the door, fast asleep.

victor tiptoed back around the other side of the bed, where the pillow was indented and the mattress creased, and propped himself up on his shoulder so that he could look at yuri properly. although his hair was spread over his eyes, victor could still see his face, and wondered how someone could be so damned beautiful.

he considered brushing the hair back to see yuri fully, but laughed at himself and sat up, intent on leaving, and closed the door gently behind him.

"i guess you got lucky last night," an italian said with an amused tone, and victor rolled his eyes at chris, who was leaning against the banister of georgi's wide marble staircase.

"you?" victor asked, yawning again and stretching. "get lucky?"

chris shook his head, hands firmly in jean pockets.

"i'm staying faithful, like you said i should. and i'm going clean. didn't take a single bump last night."

"you and me both," the russian said with a bitter laugh. "and god, one night without a gram of cocaine and i'm off my head."

he thought back to minutes ago, and the strong urge to brush the hair out of yuri katsuki's eyes.

"i'm fucking crazy when i'm neither high nor drunk," he laughed, and chris nodded in agreement.

"you'll die young," he remarked, and victor shrugged.

"so i've been told. at least i'll die attractive."

chris shook his head, tutting, before nodding toward the door.

"want to head off? come stay at mine for a bit again, why don't you? the boyfriend isn't back yet, and it's fucking lonely all on my own."