74.| breathe

ok but i just remembered
that yuri is only nineteen in this book

nineteen

i'm

~

"i want to see you but you're not mine"

yuri was holding his breath under the water, and all he could see above the surface was light - uncertain, wanted and painfully bright.

yuri.
stop holding your breath.

yuri closed his eyes against the still water and blinding lights on the bathroom ceiling, and he tended as his body starting to beg for oxygen.

yuri.
stop holding your breath.

"...i'm drunk, and i want to fuck you..."

yuri's chest was bursting.

yuri.
stop holding your breath.

"...watching me while i sleep, are you?"

yuri.
it'll stop hurting if you breathe in water.

yuri opened his eyes, and water stung his vision as his body started screaming for air; the bruises on his body were aching under the pressure and the strain as he willed himself to stay under the water.

one.

"...and you let him put his hands in your fucking jeans..."

yuri couldn't breathe.

two.

"...listen to me...baby...please..."

blood was rushing in his ears against the still bathwater.

"and one day, we are gonna go up to heaven...you and i...and if there isn't a heaven at all...we're gonna go somewhere better, baby...but i'm gonna keep loving you until the sun does die...and the stars do go out...no matter where we are..."

three -

"yuri?"

he broke through the surface, gasping for air, shaking water out of his eyes and trembling under the wide skylight in the ceiling of the apartment phichit chulanont and leo de la iglesia were living in.

"yuri? a-are you alright?"

phichit's voice was timid from outside the bathroom door, and yuri had to take three deep, slow breaths to stop his voice from shaking before he spoke.

he didn't want phichit to worry about him.

"yeah," he called, drawing his knees to his chest and listening to the swish of water. he leant back, soft, wet skin met with the coolness of the bath - not victor nikiforov. yuri was unable to smell the scent of vanilla, aftershave and lemon that he longed for, and unable to hear the beating of victor nikiforov's heart beneath soft, wet skin as he leant back. "yeah...yeah...i'm fine..."