66.| water

"you're working too hard."

victor leant his head back against the edge of the bath, yuri leaning against his chest, soft skin and the edge of his dark, dark hair wet. victor pressed his dripping lips against yuri's back, his hands drawing circles on his shoulder blades absent-mindedly.

"i'm not working hard enough," he countered, and the was a swish of water as yuri sat up in the bath.

"two hours," he reiterated, and victor leant his forehead on yuri's shoulder, sighing. his muscles were screaming.

yuri sighed, and ran a soaked hand through his hair.

"you're going to hurt yourself, victor," he said, and victor found himself looking down at yuri's wrists - at the healing scars and wet strips of white plaster.

"i think he's cutting again...victor..."

victor pulled yuri back so that he lay against his chest once more, and started to play with his hair, bare skin of his inner thighs brushing against yuri's hips under the water.

"i'll be fine," he laughed, and for a moment, when he looks down at yuri's face, his big brown eyes focused on dripping water onto the side of the bath, he could hardly believe that he was holding an angel - his angel - in his arms. he made sure he looked away from the damage on yuri's skin, exposed under the water, before he got too angry, and grasped the edge of the bath to calm himself down.

yuri said nothing in reply, and only wiped away the water from his eyes, before he looked up at victor.

"why don't you talk to me?" he asked softly, and victor leant back against the bath once again, staring up at the bright white ceiling lights of the bathroom.

"there's nothing much interesting about me, yuri," he said. "nothing at all."

"victor," yuri sighed, and the water swished as he moved his legs. "you told me before that you had depression."

yuri's bluntness took victor by surprise, and sent images of prozac and window ledges running through his head.

"yuri - "

"and you've gotten so stressed over the skating," yuri went on, "and you just don't talk to me, and i - "

"i don't have to tell you a fucking thing," victor said suddenly, tightening the grip of his one hand on the edge of the bath. he saw yuri tense up, and sighed heavily, rubbing his face with both hands and leaving it soaked in water.

"fuck, yuri, i'm sorry," he groaned, and sat up to kiss yuri's shoulder, over and over again. "i didn't mean it, baby, i didn't meant to snap - "

"it's ok," yuri replied, and leant back against victor's shoulder. victor breathed out shakily, muscles still aching despite the silkiness of the warm water over his skin, and breathed in the scent of bubblegum to comfort himself.

"it's just," he started off, burying his face in yuri's soft, dark, dark hair, "my father was...pretty shit, too..."

there was nothing but a swish of water to fill the silence.

"to say the least," victor added in an unsteady voice, his conscience begging him not to open the box he had so badly managed to lock.