Not a Hero (Zelda x Male!Reader)

This one was requested by @Defender_of_Hyrule. It's my first time writing a female character x reader so I'm sorry if it's really bad >~<

(Y/N) = your name
(E/C) = eye color
(H/C) = hair color
(H/L) = hair length
(S/T) = skin tone
(F/F) = favorite flower

Enjoy!
__________________________________

It was a hot, summer day in the kingdom of Hyrule. Ganondorf had been defeated and the king was throwing a big celebration in Hyrule Castle in honor of the hero, Link.

Link... Your childhood friend. The two of you grew up in a small village in the woods before your family decided to move to Castle Town when you were 15. You still saw the blonde occasionally when you visited the little place on your trips to sell goods at the market. Now seeing the one you grew up with be honored and worshiped made your blood boil inside.

Ever since you were children, you and Link had a one-sided rivalry. While the hero saw you as a good friend, you were often jealous of his skill as a swordsman and archer. Each time you tried to prove you were better, he was always one step ahead. Things only got worse when every girl in the village was making googly eyes at him... Nonetheless, you still cared for Link. And now, as an adult, you refused to let your childish ways ruin your friendship with him.

Presently, you were in Castle Town helping prepare for the celebration. Your (S/T) skin was covered in sweat as you hauled around crates and boxes, making you uncomfortable in the already unbearable heat. Just to feel some relief, you tied up your (H/L), (H/C) hair to feel the cool breeze hit your neck. After getting all your work done, you decided to head home to prepare for the party. But just as you were about to leave, you saw the familiar mop of yellow hair in the crowd of people. His green tunic made him stand out in the crowd of commoners. You made your way towards him waving.

"Hey! Link!"

The hero turned around and smiled as he saw you.

"Hey, (Y/N)!" he beckoned for you to join him.

After pushing your way through a few workers and dodging people carrying crates, you finally reached your friend. That was when you noticed her, Princess Zelda, standing across from the hero. Your face flushed at the sight of her. During your time in Castle Town, you had developed a crush on the blonde girl. She always seemed so calm and cheerful, but you knew better.

Before your parents passed away, they worked as servants in Hyrule Castle. You were able to roam around the halls as long as you didn't cause any trouble. You bumped into the princess a few times, but never got to personally speak to her. Although you wouldn't call it spying, your (E/C) eyes were always filled with curiosity whenever you saw her, causing you to silently follow her around. You often saw her studying with her mentor, complaining about how boring the lessons were. Other times you caught her messing around with the decorations in the castle. But what occurred mostly was when you saw her in the castle gardens, tending to a small group of (F/F). They weren't common around the kingdom, not even in your old village, which was why you loved them. Seeing how much the princess liked them too made you feel giddy inside.

Once your parents died from an illness, you weren't allowed within the castle grounds anymore. You never got to see the princess again, except during public events. Even then, you never got to see the real her. Now here she was, standing right in front of you with Link.

"Y-Your Majesty!" you quickly bowed in respect. "I didn't notice you there. My apologies."

"It's quite alright," she smiled. "Link was just talking about you before you came over."