Be Enough (Ghiralink AU)

To make up for the angst and shit, I decided to make this addition to my HamilZelda AU. It's kinda short though.

Enjoy!

Image by: N/A

______________________________

Ghirahim looked up at the tree tops as he walked down the quaint little streets of the town he now lived in. He had just been sent home by General Impa to go back to his family. He wanted nothing more than to keep fighting in the war, but the general ordered him to go back. The demon smiled to himself as he looked at the birds chirping above, all of them hustling in their little wooden nests.

"Ghira!" a voice suddenly rang out, disturbing the man's thoughts.

Ghirahim looked up ahead, smiling as he saw his beloved husband Link waving at him excitedly. It was adorable beyond words. He continued making his way up towards their home, opening the fence gate and locking it behind him before going to meet his love. The small blond immediately jumped into the taller male's arms, giggling happily. Ghirahim wrapped his arms around the smaller one, laughing to himself. That was until he remembered what he wanted to talk about with Link...

"How long have you known?" he asked the blond, pulling away from the hug and giving Link his best serious face he could muster.

"A month or so..." Link admitted, glancing to the side to avoid the demon's intense stare.

Ghirahim was taken back at this. "Link, you should've told me!"

"I told the general a month ago," the blond grinned. "I begged her to send you home."

"You should've told me," the demon insisted.

"I'm not sorry," the other replied, taking the demon by the hand and leading him inside the house. "I knew you'd fight until the war was won-"

"The war's still not done-"

"But you deserve a chance to meet your daughter and son!" Link smiled, leading the demon quietly into the room with the smaller children. The younger one was sleeping in his crib while the other was playing with a small, wooden sword like she was a small adventuring hero.

Ghirahim stared at them in amazement, his heart fluttering at how joyous he was feeling. He had a full family now. He had a loving husband that'd sacrifice himself if he ever needed him to, though he could never bring himself to actually allow that to happen. He now had a daughter, who appeared to be as adventurous and heroic as his lover, and a son, who had yet to grow into a great man. It was then that the little girl noticed his looking at her, and she smiled. She ran up to hug him, only reaching up to his leg due to his taller height. She giggled as she looked up at him, her red eyes sparkling in excitement.

Not too long after did she let go to return to her little game, making Link giggled behind him. The blond then pulled the demon away into their backyard. There, they sat down on a marble seat in the middle of Link's flower garden. The demon sat upright, the blond leaning on him and resting his head on the other's shoulder.

"Look around at how lucky with are to be alive right now," the blond told him. "Look at where you are. Look at where you started. The fact that you're alive is a miracle. Just stay alive, that'd be enough for me..."

Ghirahim looked down at his husband, a small smile forming on his face.

"And if those children, even if they're not really ours, share a fraction of your smile-" the demon whispered.

"-Or a fragment of your mind," the blond added.

"That'd be enough," Ghirahim finished, chuckling at his lover's words.

Link smiled in response, though only for a moment. He removed himself from the demon's shoulder and looked at him with a frown.

"I don't pretend to know the challenges you're facing, or the words you keep erasing and creating in your mind," the blond said. "But... I'm not afraid. I know who I married..."

Link grabbed Ghirahim's hand, intertwining it with his own as he stared with a sad expression. "So long as you come home at the end of the day... That would be enough."

The blond closed his eyes for a moment, reminiscing on all that they had been through. He knew of Ghirahim's past, and he wanted to help the demon heal from his mental and emotional wounds. He wanted to help him the way a hero should. He knew of his destiny, but this was not some ancient kingdom anymore. They lived in a country that was about to be reborn into a democratic wonderland. They were once enemies at some point, this he knew, but that had all changed when they met not too long ago. They were married now, and nothing would separate them.

"We don't need a legacy," he said, recalling how important being written his history was to the demon beside him. "We don't need money. If I can grant you peace of mind--no, if you would let me inside your heart..."

Link looked up at Ghirahim, a sad smile etched across his face. "Let me be a part of the narrative in the story they'll write someday. Let this moment be the first chapter where you decided to stay, and I could be enough. We could be enough..."

Almost hesitantly, Link reached up to kiss his husband, who of course kissed back. The two were immediately at bliss, enjoying every moment and second of it as if it would be their last. It felt like heaven. The two eventually pulled apart, smiling at one another.

"That would be enough..."