Reasons

Leaving me wondering about what he meant he disappeared, soon appearing at the door. I realized a bit late by the stillness he stood there with, that he was waiting for me.

Jumping off, I followed behind his now retreating form.

Four guards flanked us while the people in the corridors made themselves scarce against the wall, breaths rarely inhaled. Noting familiar faces, I waved with enthusiasm.

They did not wave back immediately, only after Hades' passing did they greet me with smiles. Standing out in the crowd with her fiery hair framing her heart-shaped face stood one of the friendliest in the palace.

When our eyes met, she waved like crazy and I returned it with equal excitement. Unlike everyone else, Hades seemed to have gone completely overlooked. The sight of her rosy cheeks turning a deeper shade of red when she finally noticed the intimidating God was hilarious to me.

Giving me the stink eye from my giggles on her account, she huffed turning her head away. With an apologetic smile, I said I would meet her very soon.

When the exit, came into view the guards deviated commissioning themselves on either side of the wall.

The coolness of air gave me comfort and a time gap for inhaling the breath I was about to lose. Wonderstruck I stared at a black chariot, an extraordinary one beautified by jewels, but the three jet black stallions hitched to it was what blew my mind a mile and half away.

Bigger and stronger than the horses on earth, these four-legged creatures exuded a majestic and regal air.

What wouldn't I do to have one of them? I want all of them!!

Common sense warned me that if they were his horses, they mustn't be famous for getting cozy with strangers. And so I watched from afar as their long mane fluttered in the soft winds, their agitation and anticipation for their hooves to speed through rocky lands.

"Have you decided to stay there?" My dream of riding one towards an unknown destiny, was cruelly brought to an end.

I was taken aback for a moment, my mind fixating on the image of the God holding onto the reins and the beautiful apathetic eyes of his. It felt as if I was admiring a priceless painting. To make up for the lack of a reply, I asked while getting on.

"What are their names?"The cold void of amber eyes looked back at me.

"Orphnaeus, Aethon, Nycticebus, and Alastor." He pointed at them starting from his left and each neighed in recognition of their names.

With a warning, he pulled on the reins setting them into motion. "Don't burden me by falling off."

I mentally translated it to "Hold on".

I felt myself leaning back when the chariot took off the ground, the horses galloping in thin air. Santa Claus!

Hades is Santa Claus? An evil good looking Santa Claus?

No words could describe the beauty of the new world I witnessed from here. The night sky was lit up with numerous stars, ones which put the blazing sun to shame. They showed like jewels embedded in a dark piece of silk.

The underworld not all pits and fires it seems.

Making sure Hades wasn't paying attention to his 'burden', I spread my hands and instantly small chills ran through my body soon soothing out. I imagined myself with a long, pointed nose and in a green jumpsuit.

With a perfect evil laugh, I would be perfect as the Dark Santa's sidekick, the evil elf. The cute evil elf.

In a feathery touch, the chariot landed and Hades got off first. His extended hand froze me in place, the heavenly being patiently awaiting my hand.