Pits and Fire

Adorned in ancient greek armour, hundreds of palace guards lined the stadium sized hall on each side.

Zeus had fallen silent as Will leads us along the side of the great hall. I look past my shoulder at the humongous door of cold metal with the width of two buses and height of pine which opens without a creek to let a single soul enter at a time.

Each time it opens my eyes strain to focus on the tens of thousands gathered at its entrance. 

A woman in her late twenties steps through the door and am shocked by her appearance. 

Dressed in a simple off-white dress, her body was transparent in a manner that one could make out her features while still seeing through.

After taking notice of my dazed eyes Will took it to himself to lead me.

A few seconds later he tugged at my hand while I stood rooted in spot with my mouth agape.

Suddenly the door, the delarted and the guards were no longer an domineering presence.

Cold, hard glacial stairs lead up to the Golden throne of the Underworld. Jewels and precious stones carved into daggers adorns it like a headpiece.

Even without a crown to announce his title, the King of the Underworld sat unchallenged, dominant and proud.

And for a second I thought the eyes of shade darker than gold melt met mine.

I realised that Will had partially carried me midway through spiral stairs to private seats similar to an opera box.

Like us there were three other men seated below the icy stairs. On pointing in their direction in question Will informed me that they were the judges under Hades.

The woman in the simple dress stepped forward and her trial commenced. The conversation between her and the judges was audible through and through the vast hall, but not a single word I could comprehend.

The judges conversed in a tongue not quite of this world while the woman though speaking in English, remained greek to my understanding.

Both Zeus and Will beside me seemed deeply indulged and so I thought twice before tugging at Will' hand that had not left mine.

His eyes shifts to focus on me as I say.
"I can't understand what they are saying. "

And then came a surprising reoly. "Neither can I."

"But you looked so.." I couldn't find the right words but he grasped on confessing shyly. "I was only guessing. "

"I can't either." Zeus leans back into the comfy seats finally speaking after a long while.

"Why?"

"No one other than the honourable judges and Lord Hades himself can understand because its a secret. "

"A secret?" My mind was continuously bugged by questions

"Yep. Think of it this way. Would you want anyone to know your deepest darkest secrets?"

I shook my head without a second thought.

"It's the same for them. The Underworld stands for the balance between the light and the darkness, between the good and the bad and so does not discriminate. Even if we already knew whether a person was a criminal or not, they are still be given this consideration."

Will smiles as I nod in understanding but the peaceful moment is ruined by Zeus who pats William. " You really are my son, you explained it so efficiently. "

I crunch my nose and Will frowns in disapproval at his dad who resorts to rolling his eyes and goes back to concentrate on the trail.

When I turn back, I notice the soul had disappeared.

"She was sent to paradise."  Zeus announces looking proud of his assessment.

The process continues and a man in his forties with shabby brown hair comes forward.

With the stereotypical scar running down his left cheek, rugged looks and shady clothes one would easily right him off as a criminal in one glance.

"So what is happening now?" I ask the all knowing Zeus and Will noting my intention folded him hands. "Yes, what is happening father?"

Giving us a slight nod in accepting the challenge, Zeus intently watches  through the man' trial.

"Okay . Its simple matter of question and answers. "
"You are asked to remember the goods deed that you have performed and the sins you committed. Each and every deliberate and unintentional action is then compared to see which over weigh the other."

"There are no lies in this court and no truth that can remain hidden."

When he finishes, both me and Will had our mouths hanging open. Maybe Will's a little wider.

Seeing our expressions Zeus flash us a smug smile.
"I can't know what the souls speak of, but what the judges say, I can guess ."

"And he was proven good." Zeus adds and soon after the soul disappears.

I eventually lost count of the souls as my eyes start to droop and I take notice of how frequent I feel sleepy while being in the Underworld. 

Unable to control myself I yawn and they chuckle watching me lazily look around in drowsiness.

When I sway Will shifts for me to lean over his chest.

"Thank you." I mutter and he pulls away the stray hairs from my eyes.

Till my first visit to the Underworld, sleep wasn' a luxury to me but now I find myself falling into surprisingly peaceful sleep and it seems I have adjusted to this time line.

It's either that or I am coming down with sleeping sickness

Which is posing as a problem.

I suddenly get up straight startling the two after mustering up some determination but feels faint and lays back down.

"Hey." I whisper remembering the question I had for Zeus.

"What is it?" Will leans in to listen, but the drowsiness hinder my pronunciation.

"baatt...I didn't swauyy ma dial...log."

"Dial whom?" Will ask his lips pressed in confusion.

I take in deep breaths and push myself up by the elbow. "The underworld is not all pits and fires. Right? I grin sleepily and a ripple of emotions flash by through his unearthly eyes.

Shock,  realisation and finally settled a genuine toothy smile made me smile back.

But then out of nowhere a hand reaches to touch my forehead in a gentle soothe.

"Sleep." The King of the Underworld commands in a voice close to a lullaby.

Hello awesome ppl. Thank you so much for your support!!

Now something annoying : VOTE.
😀😊😄😍