Murky Waters

Forgive me for the slow update!!

"Help." The woman cried holding onto the man a little tighter as she looks to me with hope, a view that left me in distress.

But with the slight movement, it seemed the wound that was hidden from my sight was agitated, dyeing the waters red.

Her eyes immediately trailed away from mine to the man's chest and pressed down, wanting to stop the bleeding, but assuming from the amount of blood draining from his veins, I doubted whether I could be of any help.

"Please."

She begged, almost pulling out the silver strands that blocked her eyes, her hands trembling as they did so.

"Yes." I said absentmindedly and drew closer to the banks, as if carried away by the sobs that evoked empathy.

But a few steps away from the first line of water, the light caught in the seqins of her dress of coloured silk blinded me momentarily.

I blinked, as if waking up from a dream.

I suddenly noticed the man dressed for battle, had his face covered entirely with dried blood that hid away the most distinct of his features, while the strained injury bloomed fresh red.

How are they floating, I wondered.

But strangely I chose another question to voice being caught in between an impulse to help and another to stay out of trouble. "What happened to you?"

"A monster..."She cries.

It was a primal sound, one we are programmed not to ignore.

"..It attacked us, and my husband...he..." She looked down at the man, unable to continue, and began to wail as if the sheer force of her sobs could bring him back, and undo what's done.

I wasn't able to say a word as she cried in such a desolate manner that no one could bare to listen to it for long, and the need to comfort the beautiful maiden became an urgent priority.

I shivered as something cold began to climb up from my ankles, making it harder to move.

"Why aren't you hurt?" I asked in a state of dwam, overlooking the unpleasant sensation, but at the same time irked by her attire that did not suit the scenario.

She looked mildly suprised. And the eyes that I had thought were pale brown turned out to be the murkiest of grey, poisonous like lead.

And it wasn't until I gave her a curious glance, that she replied and withdrew her fingers from the man's face, who suddenly resembled a discarded toy.

"Because I am too weak, they let me be."

They? Were there more than one?

However, I didn't get upset or find it ridiculous, instead falling into an pacific state, nodded.

"Now help me." She demanded as the cold creeped up my thighs, and I nodded again like a fool.

Ouch!

My toe struck something sharp, and given a fright I held up my leg in my hands to examine the damage. But the incautious move hardly balanced out my body on one leg and almost instantly, I fell back.

Plop!

Having fallen open mouthed, I felt the coolness rush in, and despite the shallow depths I had stood on, I struggled to surface, and when I did my thoughts were uncoordinated.

"What are you doing?" She was no longer crying, and her look of annoyance gave a slap like shock to my mind that was yet to sort out the facts.

I held up a hand, and broke away from her chilling gaze to turn back to the banks, feeling instantly shocked by the lack of memory of the short journey.