||Chapter 10~Ellie||

"Why not?" I asked loudly.
"Your skirt is way too short." He stated in annoyance.
"No it's not! It's cute!"
"And slutty." He said angrily.
Ouch.
I just turned around and walked towards the elevator.
"Natalie, wait. I didn't mean that you're a slut, it's just-"
"Save it." I said as I entered the elevator and clicked the button a million times. I watched how Damon walked angrily towards me and I hoped the elevator would close on time.
"Natalie, wait." He ordered.
While he was five more steps away from me, the goddamn elevator closed! It closed on time!
For the first time!
I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and leaned against the elevator.
Shit... I forgot my phone.

The snow was nice and soft. I walked around the building and near the front of it, I saw a small playground. Some children were playing in the snow and it warmed my heart. As I walked, I looked down as something crashed into me.
It was a small girl, no older than 6.
What I noticed was that she was wearing a shirt with short sleeves and holes in it. Her beautiful and long, blond hair were down and tangled. She held her arms as she tried to produce some warmth rubbing them.
"I-I'm sorry..." she mumbled and I saw some tears on her cheeks. I kneed down to her.
"It's okay. What's your name, sweetheart?" I asked friendly.
"I'm not supposed to talk to strangers..." she looked down and my heart ached.
"Good girl, do you know where your mummy or daddy is?" I asked, concerned.
"Um, I don't know where daddy is but mummy is home." She explained in her cute voice.
"Okay, sweetheart why don't I walk you back home." I said and she shook her head no.
"I don't want to go home. It stinks there."
"Stinks?" I asked as I frowned.
"Yes. It stinks of cigarettes and beer. And I don't wanna be home when daddy comes back, he gets angry." I took a deep breath.
"Does your mummy know where you are?" I asked as my heart ached.
"No but she told me I can never go back and that she couldn't care less." I closed my eyes and swallowed back my tears.
"What's your name, sweetheart?"
"Ellie."
"Okay Ellie, I'm Natalie. Would you like to come with me and get something to eat?" I asked and she looked at me with her big, crystal blue eyes with long eyelashes.
"Yes, please." She said shyly and I stood up. I held out my hand and she took it.

We walked to the nearest restaurant and I bought her everything she wanted. I watched how she stuffed her mouth hungrily with pancakes. I could see that she was underweight.
"Ellie, do you have any other family than your parents?" I asked carefully and the cute little girl nodded.
"I have my grandma, she lives on the other side of the city, but mummy doesn't like her so she never lets me see her. She's really kind and makes the best cookies in the world." Ellie answered and I nodded my head in understanding.
"Do you think she would be happy to see you?" I asked and Ellie nodded her head enthusiastically with a spark of hope in her crystal eyes.
"My mummy doesn't want me, sometimes she doesn't even let me inside our home and I have to sleep outside. All she cares about is those small plastic bags with sugar in them that she hides around the house. And daddy only cares about his beer and this water that smells really bad." She crunched her nose and I took a deep breath.

After Ellie finished eating I payed for everything and we walked out.
I kneed in front of her.
"Okay, sweetheart. Why won't we get you something warm to wear and then we'll pay your grandma a visit, what do you think about that?" I asked with a smile and she screamed enthusiastically,
"Yay! We're going to grandma!" I took her hand and we went shopping.

I bought Ellie a whole bunch of clothes and things she might need. I bought her new shoes and a new backpack for school. After that, I bought her a huge and colorful lollipop that she wanted.
"Okay, sweetheart, do you know where your grandma lives?" I asked and she nodded.
She looked much better with a warm coat and new shoes.
Ellie led her way to her grandma's house and I hoped she will take her in.

After quite a long while, we arrived at a cozy house at the more peaceful side of town.
Ellie pointed to one of the doors.
"You sure?" I asked sweetly and she nodded. I noticed her rosy cheeks.
We walked up to the doors and I knocked on them.
Soon, an older woman opened them.
"Grandma!" Ellie screamed enthusiastically and jumped into her arms as the older woman smiled.
"Ellie! What a surprise!" She laughed as she hugged Ellie back.
Soon the woman noticed me and slightly frowned. She told Ellie to go wait in the living room for us.
"Is she dead?" The woman asked sadly.
"OD?" She asked as she looked at the floor.
"I'm sorry, what?"
"Ellie's mother, did she overdose?" The woman asked and my eyes widened.
"No! No, no. I bumped into Ellie on the streets. She told me how things were going and I thought she could live with you, ma'am. What she tells me- no child should grow up in such an environment. I bought her everything she might need, clothes, books, toys. I even brought money for you if she'll need anything-" I said desperately and nervously as I looked through the bags and took out an envelope with 500 dollars.
"She's a smart girl, she doesn't deserve such parents, she deserves a warm and loving home. Please, please don't send her away to a nursing home, she really seems to like you, ma'am." I begged and the woman's eyes widened.
"What's your name, darling?" She asked.
"Natalie..." I said and she smiled.
"Would you like to come inside, Natalie?" She asked and I nodded. It was freezing outside.
I walked inside with all the shopping bags in my hands.
As I walked into the warm and cozy house, I saw Ellie sitting in front of the tv and watching a Disney movie.

I found out that Ellie's grandmother's name is Rachel. She seems to be a lovely woman and she was more than happy to keep Ellie.
"Ellie's mother, Amara, she started doing drugs when she was 16. When she was 18 she got married to an alcoholic and became pregnant with Ellie. I never saw that a mother could hate her own child so much as she hates Ellie. The father still drinks and abuses and Amara still does drugs. Amara never listened to me, she hates me because I tried to tell her that what she's doing is wrong, so she turned her back on me. I'm really thankful you brought Ellie to me.  The poor girl shouldn't live the way her mother does." Rachel said as she finished her tea.
"And thank you for all the things you bought and the money, it wasn't necessary, really." She said as I looked at her wrinkled hands.
"Oh no it's nothing. Really, money isn't a problem. I'm so happy you want to help." I said with a weak smile.
After I finished my tea, I figured it was my time to leave. I hugged Ellie goodbye and said my farewell to Rachel.
I gave her Damon's business card with Damon's phone number on it.
"Please, if you ever need anything, I'm more than happy to help." I said and as I tried to leave she stopped me.
"Natalie, you're a good person. You have a big heart, darling."