The Hope?

They saw a huge room with old and antique furniture, eaten up curtains, a rocking chair in a corner, dust and spider webs hanging everywhere. The room was very big with four single beds. Katherine straight away went near the window. With some fear she touched the window and pushed it to open it. But surprisingly it was jammed as if it hadn't been opened since years.

"No, this isn't possible. That day the window was open. I'm sure. You believe me Casper? Don't you?" Katherine started speaking.

"Of course I believe you. Calm down Kat." Casper replied trying to make her feel better.

"We shall not waste any time. Let us start finding information. I am sure that we will get something here", said Eric and headed towards the cupboard.

Everyone started searching for something which would prove to be a boon for them, the door to get out of the house.
Myra went through all the drawers which had some toys and other stuff. Eric searched the cupboard which had old clothes and some books. The clothes were of different sizes as if more than one person was staying in the room.

"Looking at the room, one thing is sure." continued Myra, "This is the room of a girl. Or rather, of girls..."

The room had utter silence. Moreover, a very disturbing silence. Although it was daytime, but the room was very dark. Surprisingly, the lights there were working properly.
Until now, there was no trace of anything that could be referred useful. Eric was moving all the clothes from the cupboard. Behind the clothes, on the wall behind the cupboard, there was a hook like thing. Eric paid no attention to it but Katherine who was standing a bit away, fixed her eyes on the hook. There was something which made her feel that it wasn't normal. She went towards Eric. She glanced through the hook.

"Eric." she continued, "Try to pull this hook."

Eric started putting all his strength to pull the hook. Although he was confused why Katherine asked him to do this, but there was no time to think about it right now. By now, Casper and Myra had also came forward looking at what was happening. Eric finally succeeded in pulling open the hook. It was not just a hook. It was a handle to a secret shelf which now had opened. In the shelf were some albums, some old papers and a diary. Katherine took the diary and Casper took other things. Suddenly the lights started flickering. Weird noises which were very low but were audible were enough to scare them. The table started moving.

"We should get out of this room. Come on guys." said Eric and headed towards the door. The rest ran towards the door. Katherine was behind, the last. While running, she fell. Casper looked at something on the ceiling and ran towards Katherine. He held her hand and pulled her quickly taking her towards the door as the fan fell where she had fallen. Katherine looked in terror imagining what would have happened if Casper wouldn't have been there. She was relieved that the diary was safe in her hands when her eye went on the raised tile of the floor where she fell. She moved a step towards there and Casper pulled her.

"Are you mad Kat! You still want to go there. Come out of the room. Come on."

"But Casper, there is something..." she tried to speak.

But Casper paid no attention and took her out of the room and Eric locked the room.
All four of them looked towards each other!