14| langston hughes

Summer of 1965

Keith was outside playing basketball with his brother when he saw her.

Y/N.

She is the prettiest girl in the neighborhood and guys couldn't keep their eyes off of her. Sometimes Keith would get jealous, but feel relieved when she politely turns them down. The reason being because she likes someone else. She doesn't know who he is, but she knows his handwriting. Every day she receives a poem in her mail box. They were mostly love poems and were very sweet. She hopes that one day he reveals himself, so they can be together like he states in the poems. Y/N gets them when the street lights come on.

Keith was too busy admiring her that he didn't even hear his brother callibg him.

" Why don't you just talk to her?"

" Kevin it's not that easy."

" But its easy for you to write those poems."

Keith mean mugs him taking the ball shooting a three.

" Boys come inside and wash up."

" But ma the street light hasn't came on yet ", Keith complained.

" Boy I'm not stupid anyway we have guest coming over for dinner."

Kevin groans jogging up the steps. Keith takes the envelope fromunder his shirt that was laying on the sidewalk. He kisses before plating it in his mailbox making sure nobody didn't see him.

~ ~ ~

Keith made his way into the dining room to see his mother setting the table. He stuck his finger in the mash potatoes licking it off his finger.

" Keith stop sticking your hands in the food."

" Yes ma'am."

" Help me finish setting the table."

Keith grabs the silverware placing them by the plates.

" Who did you invite over tonight momma?"

" The Y/L/N."

Keith froze when he heard Y/N's last name.

" Why?"

" They moved here a couple of weeks ago and we haven't invited then over."

" Oh okay."

The doorbell rings and Keith's father answers the door. Soon the next door neighbors enter the dining room.

" Richard, Kathy these are my two sons Keith and Kevin. Kevin and Keith this is Richard, Kathy, and their daughter Y/N."

Keith and Kevin showed their manners shaking everyone's hand. Keith held on to Y/M's a little bit longer than everyone else. They let go once they heard his brother clear his throat.

~ ~ ~

" So Y/N what school will you be attending?"

" T.C Williams."

" Oh really Keith goes to that school. Maybe you two can start senior year off as friends."

Y/N smiled taking a sip from her glass of water. She almost chokes when she felt Keith out his hand on her thigh.

" Are you okay sweetheart?"

" Yes Mrs. Powers. Where is your bathroom?"

" Upstairs second door to the left ", she smiles.

Y/N had to splash some water on her face to calm her down from the actions that took place.

When she exit out of the bathroom, she saw a door to a room who she was guessing belonged to one of the boys. People called Y/N nosey, but she calls it curiosity. The first thing that stood out to her was a notebook and a pencil. It looked like a bunch of pages were ripped out. Turning to the first page she saw the familiar handwriting she stares at everyday.

My love for you is like an eternal flame

It will never burn out

People can throw water on 

Try to put it out

But the flame is still lit

No matter what people do to put out this flame

It will stay lit

My love for you is an eternal flame

It will never burn out

Keith clears his threat causing her to drop the book.

" My mom is about to serve dessert and wanted me to check up on you."

" Keith are you the one who has been writing these poems to me?"

" Yes ", he lowly said.

Y/N does the unexpected smashing her lips to his. Keith has been waiting for this moment since the day he saw her family move in.

" Y/N? Keith? Are you two ok up there?"

" Yes momma!" 

Keith looks back at Y/N running his thumb against her lips. 

" I think we should go back downstairs before my mother comes up here."

" Let's go my little Langston Hughes."

a/n

I'm sorry but this imagine was trash