44

Cyrus

I was beyond happy the next morning. I felt as if I had no more problems in the world even though that was definitely not the case.

My sister and the Cupella were furious at me. My phone had been buzzing and blaring constantly ever since I'd made the promise ring.

I ignored it though and just relished the fact that Camila wanted me to stay. She didn't want me to go.

I wasn't sure if that necessarily meant she returned my affection for her but at least I'd managed to touch her heart.

The promise ring had been a good idea because it represented my unconditional love for her. I had promised never to abandon her and I was going to stick to that promise.

Even if my sister and Queen Blanca herself dragged me back to Curey, I'd still find a way to get back to her.

It was Thursday morning, after the date, and I knew Camila had her baking classes so my day was going to be pretty uneventful.

After lying fully awake in bed for two hours, I got up and cleaned myself. Then I got something to eat.

A memory from the day before floated into my mind as I made myself some toast.

Camila. Oh, my dear Cam. She might just be the only girl I'd ever met who could eat like a starving pig but still look beautiful as she did it.

I slapped some peanut butter on top and chewed lazily as I went back to my room.

I was just about to take out my sketch pad when I heard something.

Cyrus? Cyrus please help me! Cyrus!

My eyes widened. It was Camila! She was in trouble! I immediately changed into my Cupid form and flew as fast as I could in the direction of the voice. A few seconds later I arrived at an abandoned building that I'd never been to before.

Cam, where are you?

"Camila! Cami!" I called out.

Nothing.

I swooped down and entered the creepy building. Something felt wrong but I couldn't tell what it was.

The floorboards underneath me creaked as I walked in search of my queen.

I heard the distinct sound of a shooting arrow from behind me. I ducked just in time to see the black arrow whizz past me.

I turned and looked for my attacker. It had obviously been a Trerry: only they had poison-tipped arrows capable of killing Cupids.

"Where are you? Where did you hide Camila?! Answer me!" I yelled.

My voice caused the unstable building to shake uncontrollably. My head turned in all directions, trying to find the Trerry.

I was filled with righteous anger and I felt my blood turn hot in my veins. I swore to myself that the disgusting being that had shot at me would die.

Cyrus! I'm in here! They locked me up!

Cam? Where are you. Scream so I can come!

An ear-piercing scream cut through the dusty air. My ears picked it up and I headed deeper in the rundown building.

I came to a door and as I was about to kick it down when a voice whispered something in my ear.

"She's mine, Cupid."

Before I could react in any way, I felt a searing hot pain erupt in my chest. I looked down and saw the tip of a black arrow poking through my chest.

I collapsed, writhing in pain as the poison spread through my body. I couldn't speak or move, the poison made it hard to do anything but panic.

The last thing I saw before the poison clouded my vision was a retreating blonde figure.