30

Harry

I ignored Hunter’s remarks and rushed out of the house. I climbed into my car and started the drive towards the Centre. It was Wednesday night and I was expecting Camila to show up. If she didn’t show up then I owed Hunter a hundred dollars but if she did, then I would most probably be the happiest person on earth.

As I was driving, I saw a familiar girl walking on the pavement. Alone. I pulled up beside her.

“Hey, Camila.”

She jumped and was about to run when she saw it was me. She let out a breath of relief and climbed into the passenger seat.

“Hey, Harry.” She greeted.

“Hey. What are you doing walking here alone? It’s almost 6 in the evening and there’s some dangerous people out at this time.” I said while starting the car.

She didn’t reply. I looked over and saw her crying.

“Shit.” I muttered before stopping the car.

 I opened a little compartment in the car so I could take out a box of tissues.

I handed it to her. “I’m sorry I yelled at you, ok? I just got scared when I saw you all alone.”

“No I’m sorry. I know I shouldn’t be walking alone but Andres is out and Cyrus...well we’re not talking to each other.” She sniffed and wiped away her tears.

I couldn’t resist. I moved my hand and placed it on top of hers. Her eyes shot up to mine unexpectedly.

“Do you wanna go home? I could take you back. You don’t have to-”

“What? No. I already stood you up twice. Let’s go to the Centre. I need someone to talk to.”

I nodded and started the short drive. As soon as we got there, I jumped out of the car and opened the door for her. She smiled at me and we walked into the building.

“It looks so different when it’s empty.” She commented when we stepped into the main room.

“Yeah. It looks a lot more lonely.” I replied and gestured for her to take a seat on the couch.

I grabbed one of the chairs and placed it in front of the couch and sat in front of her. She burst out laughing as soon as I sat down.

“What? I asked.

“You look just like those psychologists in the movies. All you’re missing is a scarf, a pair of glasses and a notebook and pen.”

I looked down and realised that she was right.

I rolled my eyes and got up from the chair and plonked myself next to her on the couch.

“Better?”

She smiled. “Much better.”

“Do you want some hot chocolate?” I asked.

“Oh yes please.”

I got up and went over to the small kitchen in the next room. I quickly made some hot chocolate and added tiny marshmallows on top then went back to her.

“Thank you, Harry.” She said after I handed her the warm mug.

“You’re welcome.” I smiled as she took a sip.

“What happened with Cyrus? I thought you two were best friends.” I said after taking a sip.

She sighed and rubbed her temple with her free hand. “To be honest I have no idea. We were getting along great and then...then he admitted that he had feelings for me then I just sort of panicked and now I’m avoiding him.”