EIGHT ━ ❝i will not be dirt❞

( chapter viii

( chapter viii. I WILL NOT BE DIRT )

— 🌙 —

For Regulus Black, seeing a dog on campus rose flags inside his head. Cats were normal, along with other creatures, but a dog? No, no, that was too odd. It could raise question, but the dog seemed to always look behind its back, as if checking to make sure no one was following it. At least, nothing human. But, as a cat, Regulus was in the clear.

Like usual, the dog came out to play near midnight and went straight to the kitchen. And, as every other time, Regulus trailed after the dog until the kitchen, usually waiting outside in the dark. Call him a coward, but he always feared what the dog could actually be. And with Calypso, his esteemed niece, acting weird most of the time and smuggling food out of the kitchen – which yes, he had seen – it only pointed to one answer that he hoped wasn't true.

Him and his brother never met each other's eyes. They were always divided, could never agree, even when they were teenagers and before Sirius was disowned. The two were polar opposites while their sister, Remelda, was the happy medium. Regulus could see how the Sorting Hat had a debate of where she would land while Sirius could only be Gryffindor and Regulus Slytherin. The two were different. Sirius had a heart for others that Regulus never did.

He was not heartless like many believed Slytherins to be, he simply thought of self-preservation. Sirius was too giving, unwilling to see others harmed before him. Regulus could place those emotions on the backburner as he thought of a better option, one that would keep him alive. Sirius always hated pretending, and even though Regulus did too, he was better at hiding it. He could connect the different reasons and hold out but Sirius couldn't. He had to be free, no matter what.

So it was no surprise to Regulus when he left.

Of course, he was three years younger than him and thought of as a kid. He was in his second year, if Regulus remembered the time correctly, but he knew it was coming. Sirius spent half of his summer with the Potters while himself and Remelda never left the house. He was anxious about leaving, he couldn't stand that house. He didn't care that he was defying the family, setting himself up for disownment, when he didn't fight the Hat when being placed in his house. He didn't care about the lose he would receive when he left.

Sirius was more of a dreamer than a realist, Regulus realized when they were older. He dreamed of better worlds and didn't see the world as it truly was. If he believed Orion and Walburga would let the Potters win custody of Remelda and Regulus he was a fool. But he did believe that. And Sirius let other factors get in the way of his decision making. No, he let emotions have a say instead of looking at facts and seeing what was better in the long run. The future never mattered to Sirius, it was always about the now.

Regulus, even at sixteen, knew that he couldn't just take action. He had to learn, he had to research and be sure of his actions, make sure they would stay hidden forever until the right time. But Sirius...he wanted to be heard and seen, wanted to show others. It was so foolish, costed the man everything he loved.