FORTY ━ ❝two-faced❞

( chapter xl

( chapter xl. TWO-FACED )

Birdie could not believe what she had seen. It was unimaginable, it was so wrong and so sinful and she could not believe that it had happened. That her parents had done this – probably so many times while she thought they there were the best and most amazing people (okay, so she never thought that, but she did think that they were good people) – and had done it multiple times.

          It was not a first occurrence, this was too familiar, too orderly for it to be the first time. And they kept playing into the game, kept doing this and allowing it to happen and for what? To play both sides so they could choose the winner at the end and say we've always supported you and knew you could win! No, Ramona Bishop was not like her family. She was not two-faced liars like them.

          But she was not Ramona Bishop; she was Birdie. Birdie Bishop who was the only Ravenclaw in her family, the rest being Hufflepuffs, and she was different; she was not like them at all. They could all act the part of a Ravenclaw but their loyalties were different, but now it didn't seem like they had any sense of loyalty at all. At least not to others.

          She knew loyalty; she was loyal to her friends and she was loyal to the good side. She knew who would win the oncoming war and she would not play both sides so that she would have the chance to survive with whoever won, she didn't need to. And she knew that it wasn't right to do so. Seems like her parents didn't get the memo...

          The bookshop was deadly silent with Maia Greene accompanied by Bellatrix Lestrange and Severus Snape walked it. It seemed too low profile for them, those were all big names and they must have more credit in the rankings of Death Eaters to accomplish this (Snape had fooled Dumbledore for years, Maia killed him, and everyone knew Bellatrix's name) but Birdie did not dare question them on it.

          She knew her place with them; she was a pureblood who wasn't worthy of their time. She was loyal to good with ties to Gryffindor, Slytherins greatest enemy, and she knew she would be killed if she talked back to any of them. But still, seeing Snape who pretended to be on the side of good at Hogwarts and seeing Maia, Calypso's cousin and a murderer, filled her with rage.

          She wanted to hurt the younger girl for hurting her friend. Calypso meant the world to her and here this girl was, throwing everything away for Death Eaters. How could this girl join them when she knew what they did to Remelda and her siblings? How could she do that when she looked into Remelda's eyes and called her Aunt Mel? She was a disgrace and Birdie would never forgive her even if one day Calypso decided to turn the other cheek after the war, not that she thought her friend would...

          The bookstore was empty when they crashed in, walking around as if they owned the place. Bellatrix had gone straight up and asked them for the information that her parents had promised them. Maia looked at her and glared, no doubt knowing who she was to Calypso. She just glared right back.