FORTYONE ━ ❝city of dreams❞

( chapter xli

( chapter xli. CITY OF DREAMS )

          The warmth of the cup heated her hand to almost an uncomfortable temperature but she didn't move it. There was a breeze around her, reminding her how late in February it was as it caused her hair to brush into her face which she moved back carefully. The sweater she had on was not thick and definitely not suited for the cold that was causing chill bumps on her hairs under the clothing, but she kept it on after the disapproving look of her uncle. Anything to spite that man after he refused to give her firewhiskey last night, which he knew that Calypso wanted.

Sitting at the table with her were two of her best friends, Birdie and Sloane, who looked equally joyed to be there. It had been a while since they had gotten together, work and the general order of the world at the moment keeping them apart. Sloane, of course, did not look like Sloane Clark but another young woman around their age, having to have gone into hiding due to her status as a bloodtraitor.

Unlike with Calypso's family, Sloane was a vulnerable target. Voldemort and his crew were aware of the power that the Blacks still possessed and stayed away, but Sloane was a lone target and would be easy to take out if she was caught. So, she hid in plain sight; with many Polyjuice Potions that they all had been brewing for her.

Birdie always looked nervous when they met somewhere not deemed safe, like one of their houses or the joke shop, and today was no different. No, she looked much more nervous than usual, which made Calypso concerned but she chose to ignore it. It was probably just the general paranoia that they were all feeling at every moment of the day.

"How have you and Fred been?" Birdie asked Sloane, taking a sip of her coffee.

"Good," Sloane told them, "We've been staying with his family, especially since the end of July. You know, when Ron went on the run and the wedding got burned."

Calypso did remember that day, and the one following after. The trio who had stayed the night with them went on after getting some more supplies and they hadn't heard anything since. No one had. Remus had told her that they were planning on naming Harry the godfather of the baby, who had yet to be born.

Tonks was well pregnant now, a big belly and heart full of joy. They were having a baby boy and Calypso felt her heart explode at the prospect of a little brother. They were naming him Edward – Teddy for short – and she thought that it was an adorable name and couldn't wait to meet him. She was already buying stuff to spoil him with.

But still, part of her couldn't help but think, but hope, that she would be able to watch him grow up. Oh, how she didn't want to leave him. She loved her brother, even if he hadn't been born yet, but with the war going on...she had to think about the possibility that she wouldn't be around to watch him grow up. But Remus and Tonks would even if she wouldn't, and that comforted her.