TWELVE ━ ❝only one dies tonight❞

( chapter xii

( chapter xii. ONLY ONE DIES TONIGHT )

— 🌙 —

        If she were being more honest – more specific – it started in the afternoon, the day of the full moon, when she was in a corridor by herself. Calypso, even with her enhanced hearing, didn't notice someone trailing after her until she was pushed against the wall in urgency, turning around to see her uncle and how crazed he look. Regulus Black was looking from side to side, making sure no one was around, and Calypso's eyes widened.

         "Uncle Regulus?" she whispered yelled, "What are you doing here? As-As a human? You could be caught at any moment!"

         "I look very different from when I was a student here, I assure you, Cal," he whispered back, "But I had to warn you. I think Sirius is about to attack."

         Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Attack?" she asked him, thinking of who and then...oh. Oh. Regulus nodded when he saw her eyes widen in realization.

         "Yes, attack," he reiterated, "That damn rat has been running around, hiding, we lost him a couple weeks back and you should know that Sirius is anything but a patient man. I think he's gonna take some drastic measures, and I was out earlier near Hagrid's Hut – you know where that is, right? – and apparently he's had Peter this whole time. Ron and his friends are there and they have him and I saw Sirius hanging out around there, I think he's gonna strike at any moment."

         "Then are you telling me this? You should be stopping him from doing something he'll regret," Calypso said. Looking around again to see if anyone was lurking. If she was caught with a man adorning black hair...she was done. And Regulus looked more similar to Sirius anyways, it would be too risky.

         "Because I can't risk being found. If any Death Eater catches waft that I'm alive...I'm a dead man," Regulus answered.

         Calypso wetted her lips as she thought, "What am I supposed to do?"

         "Um, make sure that he doesn't kill Peter in front of children!" he exclaimed, "They don't need that scar forever."

         Immediately, Calypso thought back to when she was five. Five and standing in front of 12 Grimmauld Place, holding her mum's hand, innocent as she looked to see what she would later relate with horror. It was only a house, Remelda had told her, that was no theirs because her grandmother had recently died. Go play, look around, her mother had said once they were inside. And Calypso was a curious child, she liked to explore, so she bounced up the stairs and went looking around, finding an office.

         She didn't expect to see anyone there. Or to imagine anyone there. But no, there was an old woman yelling at her to kill a man – kill another old man because he had gone weak, that was the reason. Her reason for murdering a man was because he had gone weak, which wouldn't hold up in any muggle court and she suspected the same with wizards. Calypso, age five, saw someone die.