TEN ━ ❝cat and mouse❞

( chapter x

( chapter x. CAT AND MOUSE )

🌙

          When school returned, and Calypso had more time to reflect, she thought it best to put everything to rest with Birdie. The girl was her best friend, one she called her anchor and would share every secret with in a heartbeat if they girl asked, and she couldn't handle the divide between them. Especially since she was the one to place it there in the first place.

         Truly, she loved Birdie more than anyone and couldn't bear the thought of not being her friend anymore. It hurt, more than when she thought of losing anyone else. Her and Lee weren't exactly besties so it was easy to think of not having him there, although she found her life was much duller and lacked the laughter he brought to the table. And Angelina and Cho? Well, that hurt, a lot, but it had to be done. She wouldn't allow herself to be thrown around and used when they felt like it. She had more self-worth than that.

         So, when Calypso got on the train, she sought out her friend, hoping that she wasn't sitting with Angelina and Cho. Those wounds were still so fresh and, if she was being honest, she didn't really see herself being friends with them again. Maybe in a few months, but not at the current moment. They hurt her and she couldn't welcome them back.

         She got on with Maia, who turned to her cousin. "Are you sure you don't want to sit with me and my friends? We wouldn't mind, Cal," she offered.

         Calypso smiled at the younger girl, "No, really. I need to find Birdie and patch things up with her."

         Maia gave an apprehensive look before sighing, "You know where I'll be." Calypso didn't, not really, but she still nodded and the two parted. If she needed, she'd go looking for Maia later. She just hoped it didn't come to that.

         Starting to look, Calypso peered through the different windows of the compartments. Walking down the train hallway for a long time, she began to lose hope but then she found Birdie, being her natural self and completing the homework she was supposed to have done over her break. Smiling softly to herself, Calypso opened the compartment door, seeing Birdie's head snap up.

         "Calypso...um, hi," Birdie breathed, blinking as if to make sure that she wasn't hallucinating.

         She sat down opposite to the girl and smiled, "Hi, can I sit here?" It was always nice to ask.

         Birdie nodded rapidly before blushing, "I mean, of course you can. I just – I wasn't expecting company or anything. Thought you'd be off with others or on your own."