TWENTYNINE ━ ❝the uprising❞

( chapter xxix

( chapter xxix. THE UPRISING )

         There was still an ache in her hand that irritated her more than anything. She was accustomed to the feeling; the itching feeling of wanting nothing more than to pick the scab or rip it off until the blood started oozing again and temporary relief was granted until the aching pain started again. Younger, she would always do it even though it hurt so much and even though her mother scolded her – she couldn't help herself – but now, older, she had stopped. She had learned to ignore the ache and continue with her day.

         She had grown used to moving throughout her day with pain. With people nudging her fresh wounds without care because they didn't know and hitting her as she suppressed the wince that wanted to claw out at the motion. The sting. And her hand, which was still bandaged and hidden under long sleeves was just added to the collection of scars that traced her body.

         They were everywhere on her, how could they not? They littered her skin with laughter because they knew they would never fade and she would be left as the scarred girl forever, notifying everyone of what she truly was when the full moon rose. A monster will no control, no compassion. Just a merciless creature that killed all in its path without a second thought as her humanity was trapped inside her mind without an escape.

         No one had seen her hand since that night and the night after that when she had been called back for another session. She was free now but the pain remained. She had concealed it, not wanting anyone to notice. It held no purpose, if Birdie saw she would be concerned and want to say something – rise up – but that was not possible, that was what allowed Umbridge to get away with what she was doing.

         Because no one would say a word, and if they did it would be dismissed; deemed a lie. She controlled everything, there was no passing by her and destroying her. She had all the power – and oh, what power that was – and they all fell to her mercy. There was nothing any of them could do besides sit and let her do as she pleased, even though they all disagreed. Even though they wanted her gone and banned from the castle.

         There was nothing they could do besides sit and watch and say nothing, remain silent because fighting was futile and would only lead to punishment by her. So, Calypso said nothing about her pain to Birdie or Lee, she kept it all to herself because that was for the best. Fighting was futile and therefore shouldn't happen – at least, she mused, not in public eye.

         While she was supposed to be the heart of a lion and be brave enough to fight everyone (as Gryffindor was portrayed and supposed to live up to), Calypso was not one for fighting every battle. Maybe, when she was younger, she was. She confronted and she fought, she was standing front in all her battles, but this was one that could be victorious in that manner.