THIRTEEN ━ ❝it was one hell of a year indeed❞

( chapter xiii

( chapter xiii. IT WAS ONE HELL OF A YEAR INDEED )

— 🌙 —

Calypso awoke from her haze with a groan. She looked around, gathering her surroundings to be the hospital wing in new clothing, seeing her dad beside her bed. She rubbed her eyes, thinking about how long she was out, seeing Ron Weasley there as well across the room.

It was light outside, the beginning of day creeping in. "Dad," she nudged Remus gently, knowing that he must be sore. She knew she was, and there were new marks on her skin. "Dad!"

Groaning himself, Remus awoke slightly to see Calypso. "You're awake," he said, "Sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep."

"No, it's fine. How long have I been out?" Calypso asked, "And how did I get here?"

"I won't lie," Remus sighed, "It's been a day or two since everything. And Madame Pomphrey brought you here, did the same with me. Now, Calypso, why didn't you tell me? I could've helped you with everything."

Calypso bit her lip, feeling extremely guilty as she looked at him, wanting to turn away but afraid because of the expression on his face. "Mum didn't want you to know, dad."

"She doesn't want me to know a lot of things..." Remus muttered.

"It's not like that and you know it. Mum just, she knew how much you beat yourself about this and-and it's worse now that you know, isn't it?" Calypso asked and he looked down, "Exactly. And I know it's why you and mum divorced."

Remus looked back up, "She told you that?"

Calypso shook her head, "No, but I'm not stupid. I figured it out when I was younger because of what mum told me when I first turned. She just, she doesn't want to make anything worse for you and when I finally got old enough to decide that for myself, I didn't want that either. I like you smiling at me and not seeing a curse I got from you. It's not your fault, it's not like you decided to pass this gene onto me, I just got it. And I went eight years without anything happening and by then you were already gone."

She clenched her eyes shut, knowing that was the wrong was to phrase it. "Calypso..."

"Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I just mean that you weren't with mum anymore and I live with her. I share the same last name with her and everyone knows she's my mother," Calypso started to ramble.

"I just didn't want you to ever be associated with me. I haven't been able to keep a job because I'm a werewolf and if anyone knows about you, you won't either. And if you share the same surname with me, people are bound to suspect so it's just best to not be a Lupin," Remus explained.

Calypso scoffed, "Yeah, cause everyone assuming that I'm going to a Death Eater and kill someone is so much better. And everyone thinks that I've been helping Uncle Pads this whole time, which is, well you know, but not in the way they think!"