FORTYTWO ━ ❝one last time❞

( chapter xlii

( chapter xlii. ONE LAST TIME )

    The months passed slowly since the death of Birdie. She set her routine, following it without any changes, numb as she walked through life. It was just like after her mother died; she just went through the days because she had to, because she couldn't just stay in bed and cry all day. Remelda wouldn't have wanted that and now Birdie wouldn't either. She still went to work with Lee and they never really spoke about her, both finding it too painful, still too fresh to even speak of.

        There was a funeral for all of them. Not a lot of people came, mostly just other shopkeepers in Diagon Alley where the bookshop was. Family flew in and Calypso went with Lee, Sloane (who was disguised as a white, blonde girl), and Cho – the last mostly staying a little away from them since she wasn't close with Birdie anymore. Not after what happened in their fourth year.

        Calypso and Lee gave their own eulogies for Birdie, being the closest to the girl out of everyone at the funeral. It was hard and Calypso choked up during it, just like she had at Remelda's funeral, but she got through it because she needed to say it. She needed to say it because if Birdie was there, on the other side looking at her, she wanted her friend to hear her words. To know how much she meant to her, to know how much she loved the Bishop girl.

        And her routine continued; she woke up around seven, had breakfast by herself because Regulus was usually still sleeping, got ready for work and went to it, leaving after her shift and coming home. On Thursdays, she went to trivia with Lee and on Fridays they had family dinners. Sometimes on the weekend, when she wasn't working, she would go see Leo and that was nice.

        But winter turned into spring and it had been months since Birdie's death. It still hurt to think about her, to know that she knew something was up with her friend – something was wrong – but she wrote it off as just normal paranoia that they all felt when it wasn't. She felt so incredibly guilty because it had been her fault, right? She was responsible; she didn't notice the signs.

        On Friday – May second – she was with her family for dinner. Teddy had been born last month and Tonks was recovering from birth. Her brother was beautiful, already showing signs of being a Metamorphmagus like his mother and it was so funny to watch him imitate the pink hair Tonks had.

        He was so beautiful, so lovely, a beacon of hope in the dark times. Calypso already knew she would do anything for him, she would give her life to save him, even if it meant not being there to watch him grow up; being the big sister she always dreamed of being. Even when she was young, she wished she had a sibling like Leo and Maia had each other, but she was just alone. And now here was her chance, but it was such a dark time and there was guarantee for her life. But she wanted to live, she wanted him to know her, to know his whole family.