THIRTYFIVE ━ ❝let the memories fade away❞

( chapter xxxv

( chapter xxxv. LET THE MEMORIES FADE AWAY )

The days following were all a haze. She couldn't tell them apart and she wasn't sure if she wanted to. Everything happened in the following days and yet nothing did as well. For the first week, Uncle Pads was detained again for his supposed crimes but this time he got a trial. Her Uncle Regulus - fresh from the dead and having to answer for his own illegal faking of his death - and Aunt Nadia fought for the trial, as did everyone else in the Order.

Calypso went back to school, along with the other members of the D.A. Most of them were in the hospital wing for injuries sustained during the battle. Maia was in shock and Calypso didn't comfort her; she couldn't.

When her uncles' trials came, she testified for them both. Told nothing but the truth because otherwise it would be perjury and because the truth helped them. Veritaserum was used for Sirius' trial and everything came to light; Peter Pettigrew was the real criminal and Sirius Black was another one of his victims.

Peter Pettigrew was responsible for the deaths of James and Lily Potter, for those twelve muggles, and the twelve years Sirius Black had been wrongfully imprisoned in Azkaban. The Ministry took the blame for not having a trial at the time, more so putting it on the late Barty Crouch since he was in charge of overseeing the trials at the time.

Her Uncle Regulus' trial was harder, seeing as he had staged his death, had others lie on his behalf, and kept the secret for so long. But, after a long fight, he was free as well. The trials were quick and by the time summer break began, they were free.

Everyone was free and safe, but not everyone was still breathing. Remelda Black's life had been stolen from her the day of the battle, the day she believed her uncle had been taken by Voldemort himself because of a false vision from Harry Potter and the words of her cousin who didn't know what was happen. Who told her what he knew, and what he knew led them to the Department of Mysteries where her mother died.

She did not blame Leo, he had not lied to them, he had not been tricked by Voldemort. He told her everything he knew and what he knew didn't tell them exactly that Sirius was right there in the kitchen with him for their eyes to see. So, they acted on what they knew and what they knew was wrong.

Calypso couldn't say she didn't blame Harry.

She wanted to free him from blame, really. She knew Harry, she knew he cared for Sirius and just wanted to keep him safe; to save his life and return the favor. She knew that. She did. But she also knew that he had a direct link to Voldemort and that the villain played on it. Tricked him. He had been tricked and instead of telling an adult (but who could they tell?), he got her and so many others involved and as a result, her mother died.