THIRTYNINE ━ ❝joyous occasions❞

( chapter xxxix

( chapter xxxix. JOYOUS OCCASIONS )

It was very clear from the beginning of summer that no Black or Greene was welcome in the wizarding world. Not after Maia killed Dumbledore, practically pushing him off the Astronomy tower with magic and destroying their greatest defense against the wicked Voldemort who the Ministry was just now beginning to believe was alive again.

          They were pariahs with their own people, which was quite new for Nadia even though she had been dating Sirius when he was thrown into Azkaban for the murders of the Potters. People gossiped when they read the papers – I always knew those Blacks were a wicked family and they're murderers, all of them – and whispered in the streets of any of them dared to show their faces.

          No one wanted them around, no one could trust them after what Maia had done, killing Albus Dumbledore. Even Calypso, who had never liked or trusted the old man, knew that he didn't deserve the fate that her cousin gave him. No, Maia wasn't her cousin anymore. She was never her cousin at all. Maia didn't deserve the right to be her family after she murdered a man.

          Calypso could never see herself committing murder. She could never see herself taking a life from someone else, especially someone innocent – or innocent enough, in the case of Dumbledore. But war was coming, it was approaching, already here, and everyone could taste it in the wind. She knew one day that those morals would have to leave and she would become a murderer, but for good. Not for Death Eaters.

          Because no matter what the rest of the wizarding world believed, Calypso Hope Black was not a murderer. She was used to the assumptions about her family. She was used to being the pariah in the streets due to the actions of her relatives, but this enraged her in a different way than it did before.

          Because this time she knew that Maia wasn't innocent. Maia was the guilty party, the murderer hiding in the protection of Death Eaters, doing their biding and liking it. It disgusted her. Just as Walburga Black burned the faces of her uncle and mother from the family tree, she burned Maia out of hers.

          Maia was no longer family. She would never view the girl as such again.

          And because the wizarding world had no interest in Calypso, she moved to taking a job at a local bakery with Lee. Lee had been working there since he finished school, not knowing what career he wanted and wanting something that would at least help him pay the bills. Plus, his aunt used to date the owner and he still had a soft spot for Lee even after the break-up.

          She had plans of starting in muggle university once the war was over and she (hopefully, at least) survived. Right now, it was too dangerous to really start a life in the current state of the world. At any moment she needed to be able to fight and creating something permanent only to have it destroyed would make her crumble. But once there was peace, she was definitely enrolling. Maybe she could be a lawyer just like her mother...