NINETEEN ━ ❝bad moon rising❞

( chapter xix

( chapter xix. BAD MOON
RISING )

— 🌙 —

She could feel it in her veins. She gripped the clean clothes tightly in her hands, tense as she left her dorm. Even though she couldn't see it, the thing causing her worries, she could feel it. It was pulling her, waiting for the right moment to strike and break her bones. To break her and reveal who she truly was; who she hid every day as she walked among men, as if she was one of them. No, no. Tonight would prove how different she was from everyone, show how much of a monster she truly was when the day was over and the full moon reigned, tearing her body apart.

Calypso flinched at the sounds, louder than usual. Everything was magnified so close to the full moon, everything louder and everything more unbearable. Pain was worse, happiness was even more joyful, and the laughter rang through her ears even though she couldn't laugh along. It tormented her. It did.

Safely, though, she made it out of the Gryffindor tower, going through the corridors she knew by heart now. She had to get out, she had to get to safety. Sanctuary. Not for her, no she didn't not need its protection. She was safe in the monster, she was the tormentor during the moon, she tormented anything living – including herself. No, she needed sanctuary for others; for her classmates. She needed sanctuary so that she wouldn't be able to harm them, maim and kill them. To truly become the murderer others believed her to be...no, she wouldn't allow herself to kill anyone. And for that, she would have to find somewhere safe to hide.

She wouldn't hurt others. She wouldn't. She could control herself enough to get to the Shrieking Shack, then she would allow the monster to claw free and take over her form.

The noises were so loud as she walked, head how as she clung to her bag where her clothes were. She had to keep them safe so that she could wear them and then bring herself to Madame Pomphrey in the morning, when the beast would be sedated again and the blood would have already dried on her body.

"Hey!" the cheerful voice of Birdie rang loudly in her ears. Calypso flinched. "What are you doing? Because I haven't done my Potions work and I was hoping we could work on it together."

If it were any normal night, Calypso would have snorted and retorted with the fact that Birdie didn't want to 'work on it together' but copy her own work because of course Calypso would've done her own by then. It was just who she was, especially since she wouldn't have the energy to complete her homework the days following the full moon. She always had to get ahead so that she wouldn't fall behind with this; yet another awful side effect of the curse that had plagued her from such a young age.

Instead, because it was not a normal night at all, Calypso shook her head and gripped onto the latch of her bag tighter. Her heart was racing, it was getting closer to the time when she wouldn't be able to control the beast anymore; it would control her. "I can't," Calypso gritted out, "I have somewhere else to be."