THIRTYEIGHT ━ ❝through her last year (pt. 2)❞

( chapter xxxviii

( chapter xxxviii. THROUGH HER LAST YEAR (PT. 2) )

JANUARY –

Back at Hogwarts, Calypso felt empty without her family around. The laughter, the simplicity of her dad's home and the remodeling of 12 Grimmauld Place into a livable place people wanted to gather at. Her Uncle Pads finally getting his life back and looking alive and not just a glorified ghost with a light tan to his skin and freckles appearing on his cheeks, a mirthful glint in his eyes that hadn't been there in well over a decade as he sat with his hand interlocked with Nadia's.

He was happy. He had a second chance at life and he was taking it and making it his own. Sirius even sang along to the Christmas music that played, though only softly and not very long. Remus, with tears brimming, said that used to sing so loudly and so obnoxiously to music when they were younger. It made her almost cry as well.

And Nadia looked happier than Calypso had ever seen her. Of course she had joys in her life; she had her children and Calypso, she had her work and her friends, but there was always a piece missing. There were the deaths of her friends, the imprisonment of her ex-boyfriend, the complications of trying to raise two toddlers without notice. But she was happy, though now she looked happier than ever. She was thriving.

Remus was happy as well. They were all happy, really. Nymphadora came around many more times and dropped very obvious hints that she fancied him – all that he ignored, by the way – and he still went to the bookshop with a small smile on his face. He laughed with his friends and even though there was something dark coming their way, a war brewing in the darkness, he could still find the light.

Of course, Regulus had been busy. As a free man and finally not a cat a majority of his time when in London, he went everywhere. He didn't care who saw (well, he did, but for the most part he didn't) and he was himself. A life was given to him that he didn't have; a whole new world.

Because while he had been free through all his years, he really wasn't. When he was a child, he was trapped by his parents, and only became free when he faked his death. A cat and human alike, he hid in other states and in his Anigmus form. He went everywhere and anywhere but never using his real name so it never felt like it was truly him being there.

Like the others, he missed out on so much and was now taking his second chance as if it were his last meal. Savoring it yet devouring it; not letting anyone else take it away from him. Never again.

He had the reconstruction of his old house – now a home, a true home – to take care of and was finishing off school at a muggle university, wanting to actually get a job instead of just stealing or depending on money from Remelda when he went traveling. No, it was finally time to get a real job. But first came university.