EIGHTEEN ━ ❝fireside chats❞

( chapter xviii

( chapter xviii. FIRESIDE CHATS )

— 🌙 —

Harry Potter was a champion of Hogwarts. It was the talk of the school. The questions rang through the halls; how did he do it? Who did he bribe? No one questioned as to why he was still subjected to compete even though he was underage, no, they only asked how the boy could manage to get his name in the goblet. They were greedy for the truth, most angry at him for trying 'to steal the glory away from Cedric.'

The Slytherin house turned on him, which wasn't entirely surprising seeing as they had always disliked the boy. And of course the Hufflepuff house hated him because they finally had the glory on them with Cedric Diggory and now Harry had to go and try and steal it back. Ravenclaws were indifferent, a majority not liking him and Gryffindors mostly rooted for Cedric as well.

Calypso didn't understand any of it. How could they hate him when they didn't even know how it happened in the first place? How could the hate him when they should hate Dumbledore and the Minister, everyone putting together the tournament, for forcing him into it? He was underage and shouldn't be allowed to participate, but he was. And no one was raising any eyebrows at that. Calypso could hear their sneers and jabs at the Potter boy, which was totally unfair, and she couldn't understand it. Then again, she never seemed to understand her peers.

Their interests, their fawning over the champions – besides Potter. Girls commented about Krum and Diggory while boys said how perfect Fleur looked, which was helped because she was part-Veela. Calypso could only roll her eyes.

Of course, she knew this was something her mother would want to know about it. Both her parents actually, so she drafted letters to each of them. They were simple enough, telling them about how school started out and her classes, along with the tournament which they both knew about – to think her mother was excited about this! – and how Harry was participating.

Her dad sent back a letter cursing out the Ministry on their bullshit, never touching Dumbledore which was totally unfair because he had probably played a part in keeping Harry in the tournament. Of course, her father had always had a soft spot for the Headmaster. After all, he had allowed a werewolf to attend his school and then teach there, so Calypso supposed he wasn't all bad. Though, he did have some questionable actions that she couldn't quite overlook.

And her mother had swore out everyone and promised to talk to her soon, asking for a time to meet through a fireplace. Calypso had suggested the night before the first task – which no one knew about, and that was totally unfair because how were the champions supposed to train for it? But whatever, Calypso would get over it for the most part. And they had agreed to the fireplace in the Room of Requirement, which would be there when Calypso needed it.

But, before then, she was sitting at the Gryffindor table with Lee by her side for dinner. "Are you excited for the task?" Lee asked with a wide grin, obviously eccentric for the tournament to begin.