THIRTYTWO ━ ❝magic is overrated❞

( chapter xxxii

( chapter xxxii. MAGIC IS OVERRATED )

       Birdie didn't like her name, nor did she like working in her father's bookstore. She knew why she was named Ramona, it was after her grandmother who tragically passed only a month before her birth. And, to honor the woman, her parents changed what was going to be Kelly Bishop to Ramona Bishop. Some days, she was thankful that her parents changed her name, others she would've rather been a bitch named Kelly.

       But her name didn't change the fact that working at Obscurus Books was probably the worst thing in the world. She often compared it to torture. With only the elderly who didn't like that she wasn't always the cheeriest person in the world to ring up, it was boring. And then, before the school year starts, she had to deal with annoyed parents who didn't like to wait in a line to pay for their children's books.

       It didn't help that her father never employed anyone else. They were a family owned business, just as it was from the beginning, and the only way to get a job was to be born a Bishop or marry one. And, as her family always told her, it was her future.

       The Bishops placed a lot of importance on studies though never on dreaming about your future outside of Hogwarts. Never once was she asked by her aunts or grandparents what she wanted to do when she was older because the answer was already picked for her. She was to join the family business and spend every torturing day at the dusty old bookstore that she hated.

       That was her future, as everyone knew, and the others seemed to love it enough. Well, her cousin Tyler absolutely appalled it but at least he got to work at the shop in Germany which was so much cooler than being in Diagon Alley every miserable day.

       And nothing seemed to make it better. The days were always long and she almost always fell asleep mid-day before her lunch break where she would, of course, go out with her family to eat. She could never escape them no matter how hard she tried.

       Sadly, Calypso could never come during the summer or winter to keep her company. Everyone always stared at her, especially after her uncle escaped from Azkaban, and Birdie would never pressure her friend into a situation where everyone would be whispering about her. Especially now that Birdie knew Calypso could hear everything they said, no matter how much they whispered or how far away they were.

       To add onto that, her mother certainly didn't like Calypso. She believed every word The Daily Prophet wrote about the family and many others, though she disbelieved things they said about how You-Know-Who hadn't returned. And her father, ever the wise man, made it known that they knew he was back and that they did not like him.