ELEVEN ━ ❝how it started❞

( chapter xi

( chapter xi. HOW IT STARTED )

— 🌙 —

         Like always, after her Potions class with Birdie, Calypso walked along to the library. Since it was her free period and Snape was relentless, as were her other teachers, she decided earlier on in her years at Hogwarts to go ahead and finish his work early. And, like always, Birdie walked alongside her.

         "Tell me we're still on for later tonight," Birdie said, "I need someone to copy off of for Potions."

         Calypso rolled her eyes as they turned the corner, "Yes, we're still on. I'll swing by around eight, sound good?" Birdie nodded. "And, no, you're not copying off me."

         This caused the girl to frown and look at her friend, "Then what's the point of keeping you around? I mean, honestly Cal, I just need your homework answers. Oh – and reminder, don't let the portrait give you any shit. If you say something that's remotely true, she'll let you in."

         Knowing what was best, she just nodded along. Other houses were much different with entrance codes. Not everyone could just recite a simple word like Gryffindors and Slytherins. No, with Ravenclaw you had to answer a riddle or find an obscure entrance to the Hufflepuff basement. "Sure..."

         "Well," Birdie said, ignoring Calypso's hesitation, as they found themselves in front of the library, "I'm off to annoy whoever I find first. Have fun doing our homework."

         "I'm only doing mine, you asshole," the Bishop girl just waved her off, "I'm serious!"

         "Sure you are, Cal. We both know you'll cave eventually," Birdie smiled sweetly.

         "That is not – okay, well, that happens a lot, but not this time. Besides, what's so important that it'll take up all your time?" Calypso asked.

         Birdie pretended to think, "Um, the fact that my best is probably the smartest person in our grade and I have to question my existence and the realness of the universe. It takes up a surprising amount of time, actually."

         "Okay, I am not the smartest person in the grade," Birdie shot her a look, "I'm not. I'm just...above average, I guess, and it's only because I work hard and take co-curricular activities I'm good at already. Plus, I'm pretty sure Sloane has me beat."

         "Whatever you say," Birdie said in a sing-songy voice, showing that she didn't believe the girl, "But I heard that Sloane's not doing too well in Charms this year, so..."