THIRTYSEVEN ━ ❝through her last year (pt. 1)❞

( chapter xxxvii

( chapter xxxvii. THROUGH HER LAST YEAR (PT. 1) )

         SEPTEMBER –

         Calypso Hope Black entered platform nine-and-three-quarters for her final school year at Hogwarts with her family by her side. Her father brought her to the train station, a steady hand on her shoulder which filled her with joy, seeing as this was the only time he had truly dropped her off for a school year.

         She knew it was just a replacement for her mother. The disaster who was always two minutes late to leave and only ever gave her a short hug goodbye and a warning against drugs and alcohol and all those other bad things before sending her off. The same mother who mingled with Nadia when she and Maia went off, Leo standing by their sides.

         But she didn't want to see her father as a replacement, because he wasn't. Remus Lupin was her father and she loved him and he wasn't just the replacement of her mother, not like anyone could ever replace Remelda Black in the first place.

         Walking beside them was her Uncle Regulus, proudly standing out in the open with his niece. It was dangerous to be out, with the rise of Death Eaters and their ever-growing presence and power in the current world. But Regulus told her that he wouldn't miss another time dropping her off – he had been gone for the rest of them and this was his last chance. Calypso left him alone after that. It wasn't like she didn't want him there.

         There was gossip as they walked onto the station, as was expected, but after many years and many rumors Calypso didn't even bat an eyelash at the whispers. She had grown too accustomed to them, even though now the whispers told a different tale. Instead of telling children to stay away from the Black family or proclaiming their horridness, the whispers spoke of the tragedy that had occurred in the family and the innocence of two more.

         Like everything else in Calypso's life, it was different but not exactly unwelcomed. They directed their attention to the man and woman hugging a young girl goodbye whom they knew well, smiling as they went to greet them. Nadia smiled when she caught sight of them and opened her arms to hug Regulus first since it had been many years that she believed he was dead. Sirius hugged Calypso first before talking with Remus and Nadia moved on to hug Calypso.

         It didn't exactly make her uncomfortable, but it wasn't very well liked. Remelda never hugged her at the train station. It wasn't the whole 'we are strong purebloods and affection is weakness' but more of the fact that Remelda was never the big fan of touch. As a child, touch between a mother and child was more of a beating than a comfort and she had never gotten over it.