THIRTYFOUR ━ ❝for what you lose❞

( chapter xxxiv

( chapter xxxiv. FOR WHAT YOU LOSE )

         It was an instant change. The atmosphere, once trying to make up for the dreary year, was a mix between still and alive – dead and joyful. The students, once with smiles on their faces without cares (or pretending as if they didn't) now were quiet and tense. The Great Hall, once filled with the cheering and yelling of students – a pain that once made Calypso go mad when she first arrived – was deadly silent.

         She hated the silence even more.

         No one moved if they could. It was still, it was deadly, and at the top where Albus Dumbledore used to sit was Dolores Umbridge as her throne, a smirk just gracing her features. She looked like a queen of a kingdom that wanted to overthrow her but was unable due to their lack of power. They had no connections; the Ministry had taken over. Who would fight the Ministry and win? Not teenagers.

         The chatter there was had nothing to compare to what it had once been. The Slytherins – those apart of Dumbledore's special league that had caught Harry and taken him to Dumbledore's office just the previous night – were boastful. Proud, but they had always been so proud. It was infectious, even taking over Calypso more times than she cared to admit.

         Slytherins always held their heritage high, their pride a defining characteristic, and even Calypso could align with those traits. Even now, they reveled in the silence because they knew their ancestors would do the same. Had, or were continuing to do. Calypso wondered how someone could ever be so proud, but she thought better than to voice those thoughts. At least in the current stage of the school.

         Gryffindor was the quietest. All the cheer was gone, all the pride they had once held themselves locked away because their champion – Dumbledore, who had favored them with such a bias that should've never been allowed, was gone. Harry Potter, their hero, was quiet. Sullen. And there was no news of another meeting in sight, not in the current state of the school. Not when Umbridge would be watching them oh so closely. It was much too dangerous.

         "My dad's been parading the article," Birdie whispered to Calypso in a low voice. The girl sat beside her, Lee joining the Weasley twins, Kiara, and Maddox for dinner that night. Her voice was much too low for a normal wizard to hear, which was good considering the topic.

         "That's good," Calypso commented, "Any news of what the public thinks of it?"

         Birdie shook her head. "No, dad said that some people have come in and read it. Some didn't like it, but there hasn't been enough time to get the general reaction. Mum doesn't like it."