EWEW - LWTBB 37: Mea Culpa

E.W.E.W - L.W.T.B.B Copyright © 2012-2017 xXMopelXx All Rights Reserved.

Current Chapter Posted - Friday, August 25, 2017

There's my one-shot for Heidi Warren - Hunter's sister - on my profile if you want to check it out and help me out in the #spirituallyromantic contest wattpad is hosting!

Happy reading, babes! Be sure to vote if you enjoyed <3

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

{ Chapter 37 } : Mea Culpa

"What the fuck did I just watch?"

"Anna, that's Sam's number, right?" Layla mumbled with a shell-shocked quality coating her voice.

With a shakiness I couldn't control, I fell back on my bed. My phone landed on the floor and any noise that may have erupted from my parted mouth was muffled by my hands.

No. No. No. No.

How could this be happening?

Nico and I had set the tone. We'd made it clear to Joey that Sam and I weren't together. Why was this being sent to me? Why was I still fucking being taunted?

"Anna - What the hell! What's going on?" Gabby and Layla were still buzzing around me like bees, but I had no answer for them. The only concern flashing in my head was Sam and Connor's knife.

What had they done to him?

"Oh, my God." I launched forward and grabbed my phone. I dialed Sam's number. I got his voicemail. "Shit. Shit. Shit."

I tried dialing him again. His husky voice teased me to leave a message after the BEEP.

"Anna, babe. Calm down and talk to us," Gabby crooned.

I heard the worry. Even saw it in their faces. Yet panic gripped the reigns on my vocal chords, tightening painfully. Nothing escaped my mouth.

I called Sam again, ignoring Gabby and Layla's matching expression.

The bell rang twice.

A husky voice answered, but it wasn't Sam's. "Hello?"

"Who is this?" The sharpness rolling over my tongue was more than enough to be considered rude, but I didn't give a fuck.

The sound of rushing wind and loud cheering filled the other side of the receiver.

"This is Cade."

"Cade..." I vaguely remembered him. "What are you doing with Sam's phone?" My voice trembled. "Where is he? I need to talk to him."

Dear God, count my blessing and please let him be okay.

"I'm babysitting his phone during the game. The Panthers are at Thompson High tonight."

Relief trickled in my veins and my shoulders sagged, the imaginary noose around my neck loosening barely. "Do you see Sam on the field? Is he playing?"

"Well, his coach benched him since he's injured. He's not really playing."

Thank God. He shouldn't be out there to begin with. "Is Nate around? Or even Nico? I need to speak to one of them."

"Sure."

It wasn't long before Nate's rumbly voice curled in my ear. "Anna. Hi."

"Nate, hey." I closed my eyes, breathing harsh. "How are you? I texted you because I wanted to know how you were doing after the incident. Sam mentioned you took a bullet and-"