EWEW 6 : Someone Who Isn't Like My Ex

L.W.T.B.B Copyright © 2012-2015 xXMopelXx All Rights Reserved.

Rewritten version of this chapter posted - July 18th 2015

VOTE and COMMENT if you enjoyed, loves! Happy Reading! xo
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

{ Chapter 6 } : Someone Who Isn't Like My Ex

Monday afternoon, Northwind's courtyard buzzed with energy during lunch hour. I sat on a picnic table underneath a big oak tree with Gabby, nursing chicken sandwiches and bottles of orange juice.

"Where's Layla?" she asked after awhile of eating in mutual silence. "I haven't seen her all day."

I shrugged and surveyed my surroundings. Avoiding me, obviously. "Beats me. I haven't spoken to her since yesterday."

Gabby continued playing with the ends of her red hair. She was obsessed with her long mane. "Weird." Her hand was already itching towards her phone. "I'll try texting her."

I was going to tell her that it was no use when my eyes cut to the source of boisterous laughter. In the middle of the open space, three picnic tables were taken over by the athletes - jocks and cheerleaders - of Northwind. Otherwise known as the people with a stick-shoved-up-their-ass-holes complex who were under the false impression that they were some kind of royalty at this institution. Amongst them rested Joshua Brown with his free arm hooked around Layla's neck.

That was not something I expected to see - Layla sprawled casually in Joshua's lap as he feathered kisses along her temple. They whispered things in each other's ears and laughed in unison. It was such a domestic picture.

Layla's laughter died short when our eyes met from across the field. Guilt pushed its way onto her face and her head hung in a sad manner before she glanced away.

"Forget texting her," I said, jutting my chin in the direction of the cramped tables. "She's right there."

Gabby followed my line of vision and her mouth dropped open with shock. The sight of our best friend with one of NH's notorious womanizer was enough to have her jaw grazing the ground, I assumed. "Layla and Joshua? You're kidding me. Now I had my suspicions, but this is too good to be true. She better give me the juicy details if they had sex."

I cringed, because hell-to-the-no did I ever want to hear about my friends' sexcapades. It was enough whenever Gabby would gross us out with an earful play-by-play of her casual hook-ups. Not Layla, too. "They didn't have sex," I stated matter-of-factly and forced down a mouthful of OJ to distract myself from Layla's table.

"You seem pretty damn sure."

I nibbled on a spicy potato wedge. "I told you I saw her yesterday."

The wheels in our middleman's head were spinning. "And does you seeing her yesterday have anything to do with why she's seated over there instead of here?"

"We might have quarrelled." I hated admitting it out loud. Two days later and I still couldn't believe we'd fought like that. Even if there was a first for everything.

It took some time for Layla's words to fully seep in. She was right about most of the things she'd spat. The only problem? I was a different girl now. This Jodanna was judgemental, reserved, guarded and protective of her friends.

Old Jodanna was carefree, reckless, rebellious and everything else in between. She withheld her own at shots of patron and bottles of JD. But look what that got her - a broken pride and a dead father.