LWTBB 4: The Cold Hard Truth Burns, Ironically

L.W.T.B.B Copyright © 2012-2015 xXMopelXx All Rights Reserved. 

Rewritten version of this chapter posted - June 17th 2015

Hope everyone is enjoying the rewrite as much as I am! Please leave a VOTE (press the star button) and comment your thoughts - I love interacting with y'all <3 Happy Reading. xo

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

{Chapter 4} : The Cold Hard Truth Burns, Ironically.

I dropped the calculus sheets I was reviewing when I heard my mom's padded footsteps echoing down the staircase.

"Anna, sweetie," her voice flitted through the small archway between the hallway and living room. "I'm going to work - last minute shift."

I swung my feet off the coffee table just in time for her to round the corner and enter the room. She gave me a stern look, seeing my sock clad feet previously on her favourite piece of furniture.

"Mom," I said, "You've barely been home in the past two days. Do you really need to go?" I've barely caught a glimpse of you this entire week.

Her deep sign emphasized her exhaustion. Dark eye bags lined her hazel eyes and her hair was pulled into a tight chignon. She smoothed a hand over her freshly washed pink scrubs. "I know, sweetie. It's an emergency or else I wouldn't go. You know I'm on call, I need to cover for my co-worker."

"Tiffany?" I implored. She was always covering for Tiffany.

She nodded. "Yeah."

"Aren't you always covering for her?" I asked, letting a bit of irritation leak into my voice. "Take a break, mom. You haven't had a day off in nearly two weeks."

My mom chuckled and sighed good-naturedly, leaning her small frame against the doorway. We were polar opposites, my mom and I. Whilst she was petite - standing at five feet two - I was five feet nine. Her hair was a deep mud brown, while I got my honey blonde from my father.

"I owe, Tiffany," she explained with a casual shrug. "Tiff helped us out a lot when your father was gone. I'm just returning the favor."

I tried to hold back the wince at the bitter reminder of my father. It didn't go unnoticed by my mother. My shoulders fell, guiltily. "All right. When will you be back then?"

She avoided eye contact. "After midnight."

That meant nearly two a.m. "I'll take care of Michael and make sure he eats, and is well tucked into bed."

"Don't worry about that. He has a play date with Kurt and Tommy, and he might even sleepover at the Collins."

My face dropped. This also meant that I would be home alone. Again. No mom. No Michael. I watched her scamper around the living room, rummaging for her belongings before she headed out the door.

Mom gave me a quick blowing-kiss. "I'll see you tomorrow morning. Go out, do something, Anna. Don't stay alone at home. Love you."

The door clicked shut.

"Love you, too," I mumbled into the eerie silence of the house.

The grandfather clock near the entrance read half past eight. Figuring that the night was still young, I shot Layla a quick text message, letting her know I'd be dropping by her place. We always hung out on Saturday nights, whether it was a movie or just doing our homework in mutual silence.