Death Bound (C)

Note: I will try my best not to spoil any major, major plot points that develop in the story. If I do, be sure to alert me of my mishaps. Also, "Continuations" are inherently longer and will have a more serious tone than the regular reviews.--Turns out the latter portion of that sentence was a lie.

Word Count: 4642

~  

Title: Death Bound

Genre: Paranormal

Blurb: Death is an eventuality, But it doesn't have to be an ending. Somewhere between the realms of life and death lie the Bounds; a plane of existence separated from reality by no more than an illusion. It's a place rife with betrayal, deception and vicious traps that exist only to break the pitiful dead. Friends are untrustworthy. Family means ambush. Caring is a vulnerability. In the Bounds, it doesn't matter who you are or what you believe, We're waiting for you.

~~NEW SUMMARY~~

The face of Death isn't one that's easily forgotten.It is darkness and light, innocence with a perverse sense of justice, it's an abyss, yet it's more human than anyone you know. Death is unbridled fury and quiet sorrow; the ruler of all life.Cruel fate allows this being to crown themselves governor of the Bounds - the place after life with fragile ties that ground it just beyond reality's reach. It's where Stephen Emerson, a young London accountant, finds himself after he's gunned down just meters from his home and it's where an unsuspecting New York detective becomes caught up in a nightmarish situation with no escape.Problem is, Death likes company, and a seemingly impossible task ensures all those caught in the Bounds remain there forever. But this unlikely pair isn't going down without a fight, and their success might just shake apart the delicate foundations of this unreal realm.

Status: Ongoing

***

~Rough Breakdown~

*skips first four chapters*

    ACT I

     The beginning to this bleak and teetering the line of an annoying book (that's broken down into parts, actually). A book that also seems to follow the three-act structure so it's only fair that I use it during this "rough" breakdown, or, a weak attempt of me trying not to spoil everything that happens. I may or may not fail. This is a trial and error process, people.

     The story conveniently starts at something called "plot point 1"; where the plot actually begins. The prologue dresses as a setup, but, it's also not. It sets up the conflict easily; death, while also setting up some background information that readers assume will be important later on. Though I'm still waiting for it to become relevant and addressed, that will be complained about later on!

    Stephen has found himself stuck in a contract of a sort (in the afterlife) where he's vaguely given a task to protect a cop named Thomas Cartwright, aka Meatloaf in Fight Club, because his life is in yadda yadda, "danger danger", yadda yadda, "conflict conflict", yadda yadda, "misfit misfit". I'm being blase about this, but really, if Tom dies on "his watch", Stephen will have eternal caps busted into his ass in a purgatory-like place that goes by "The Bounds". Tragic. What a mess.

Anywho, the three main things that I thought were important to pull from it was: "the Breach", "the Misfit", and that Tom was his "Boundary" or his ruby shoes out of Oz.

At the end of ACT I, Tom has just ruined one of his relationships and gets sloppy drunk in retaliation; some confusing, muddled events occur in an alleyway (as they always do), and boom!--ACT II begins.