chapter 11

chapter eleven
too late

— jeonghan's pov

january 31 2018

"madelaine, i over heard hansol and roslyn talking... she confessed." i said to madelaine while walking out of the chapel after support group. she spit out her water. "she what?!" she exclaimed "stop being so extra, this is serious." i lecture "call her." madelaine said plainly, taking another sip from her water bottle.

i click on her contact and hold my phone up to my ear as it rings.

"you have reached the voicemail box of-"

i hung up and groaned. "she didn't answer." i say, putting my phone in my pocket. "let me try." madelaine clicked on her best friends contact name and held her phone up to her ear. after a couple seconds, madelaine groaned and put her phone in her pocket. "nothing." she said sadly.

"she's been sad these past couple months, i miss when she was happy." madelaine pouted as we started to walk. "yeah i know, the past couple months she's always talked about wanting to die and the only reason she was still here is because of..." my voice trailed off and i stopped walking.

"because of what?" madelaine asked "because of us... her friends that abandoned her." i said, scaring myself. madelaines eyes went wide and her face went pale. "you don't think she..." her voice trailed off. my eyes went wide and i started running, madelaine following.

we ran to her house, never once stopping, running as fast as we can. we open her front door and start calling out her name. "rose!" i call out, shutting the door behind me. madelaine ran upstairs as i looked around the living room. "rose!" madelaine called out. "roslyn!" i screamed.

splash, crash

i stop and look at madelaine who was standing at the top of the steps. "rose!" madelaine screamed, running down the steps as i ran to the glass sliding door in her kitchen. i open the door and both madelaine and i run to the backyard. we went on to the deck and saw roslyn at the bottom, blood at the side of the pool and blood in the water, the air bubbles coming from her came to a stop.

i jumped into the deep, dirty pool and tried to lift her. i was able to bring her head up and madelaine got the idea and reached for roslyn's hands. she pulled roslyn up as i pushed roslyn by her feet and helped madelaine pull her up on the deck.

"jeonghan, hurry and get out!" madelaine screamed as she dialled the police. i get out and see roslyn, lifeless, on the pool deck. "hi, this is madelaine, i'm- my- my best friend attempted suicide by drowning herself in her pool in the backyard, we heard the splash and rushed to her backyard and i think she hit her head." madelaine panicked.

i couldn't hear anything or feel anything. i just sat there, giving roslyn CPR. a couple minutes go by and officers and paramedics rush to the backyard, and take me off of roslyn and carry her to the ambulance.

madelaine takes me inside and rushes me to roslyn's dads room, handing me some of her fathers clothes and a towel to dry off. i quickly get changed and get back up, stealing one of her dads winter jackets and boots. "what are you doing-" madelaine starts "in running to the hospital, you coming or not?" i asked "of course i am, what kind of a question is that?!"

we run out of roslyn's house, running to the hospital, calling everyone from support group to meet us at the hospital.

-