Chp 35. First Day Out

Annabeth's P.O.V.

The next day was not greater than the first besides the fact that I left my cabin.

I got dressed and decided to be the leader I knew I was.

With tear stains left on my face, I led my cabin down to breakfast.

It was hard but through all the looks I got, I at least made it to the dining pavilion.

I kept my eyes to the ground as everyone moved out of my cabin's (really for my) way as discretely as possible.

I looked for Alexis down by the Apollo table but as soon as I moved my head up I could feel the presence.

Cold and heartbroken, yet beautiful sea green eyes burned deep into my skin.

I knew he was watching and I wanted so much to run into his arms and tell him it was okay, but it wasn't.

It wasn't okay because Drew was in the way.

She made her way in front of his gaze where I was hidden behind her.

She smirked and flipped her hair.

My gut told me to rip her to shreds, to stand up and call her out and embarrass her, but my conscience told me to ignore it and stand strong instead.

I got my food, made my offering, and then sat down at my table.

I moved my fork in circles on my plate, pushing my eggs aside, so it looked like I had eaten them.

I tried to have conversation with my cabinmates, but I was continuously distracted by someone.

It wasn't Percy though.

It was Drew.

She would glance at me, laugh, and then giggle flirtatiously towards the Posidean table.

I slammed my fork onto my plate, picked it up, and put my stuff away.

I got a few glances but I didn't care.

My eyes flashed back and forth between Drew and Percy.

I couldn't be near her.

I took one look before I left, but unfortunately, it was Percy.

A look I should have been used to, but it absolutely killed me.

He looked horrible like he hadn't slept or eaten but I guessed I looked the same.

The only difference was that he was still beautiful and perfect in every way.

Except for one thing.

He made out with another girl and shattered my heart.

He touched her in a way that took him months to bring up the courage to do to me.

I turned away as gray and green burned against each other and left to get ready for my activities.

Piper said something to Drew and followed me out.

I had to come up with something.

Something that would drive him out of his mind.

Something that would make him understand me.

___________________________

Percy's P.O.V.

The more Annabeth distanced herself from me, the more crueler and depressed I got.

I explained everything to Grover, and he promised me he would do his best to talk to Annabeth but would have to find time to do.

Jason stayed by me the whole time, and I could tell he was getting a little frustrated with Piper.

She never put herself into drama, but she was deep in this shit as her cabin was divided into sides.

She wasn't paying attention to him and I think it was starting to cause a little tension.

I felt bad.

This is all my fault.

___________________________

Annabeth's P.O.V.

The more I stayed away from Percy, the more I became focused on getting the phones finished.

I was with Leo all day and all I listened to was how he couldn't get Alexis to be more interested in him and the special names for all of the phones' pieces.

He had two of his trustworthy cabinmates working with him, Jake Mason and Nyssa.

He would make the chips and they made the actual body of the phone.

I just stood there in misery reading blueprints to Leo, so he could get the work done quicker.

"You know Annabeth, you and Percy are both miserable because of each other. Why don't you just get back together?" Leo finally blurted out

"It's just..." I stuttered moving around the table, "I just can't. Not after what happened."

"Hey Wise Girl! Did you ever think about charmspeak?" He asked sarcastically

My face turned red and I glared at him. Percy is the only person who calls me that.

"Sorry!" he said throwing his greasy hands up, "I was just saying. Thought it would lighten the mood, but I guess not. So have you?"

I huffed, "Yes, of course I have, but I didn't think charmspeak worked like that. I mean-"

"Screwdriver," Leo held out his hand and I grabbed it from the toolbox.

I don't know why he didn't have his belt with him, but whatever. At least I can make myself somewhat useful.

"Piper's doesn't work like that," I continued,"and did you see the way he touched her, the way she was pushed or maybe even pulled against him."

I swallowed.

The more I thought the more stressed I became.

Working out the scenarios in my head made me angrier, yet I wanted to think about it.

I wanted to think about it because I wanted to know what happened, but I wasn't going to ask.

Percy would make me cry which is really hard to do, and I would end up killing Drew.

___________________________