Jealous.

This one shot takes places when El and Max are still not close.

Age: 14 (El) and 15 (Mike)
-

El walked out of her class as the bell rang, signalizing it was lunch time. With her books to her chest, she walked to her locker and opened it.

As she shuffled in the text books and notebooks a familiar female laugh was heard not too far from her. She tilted her head to her right, her locker's door covering most of her face.

Her heart stopped as she saw Max and Mike, giggling at some, probably stupid, comment she had whispered to his ear.

"Hey, El!- Wow, you okay? Have you seen a ghost or something?" Will snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Wh-what?"

"You okay?"

El watched as Max and Mike walked into the cafeteria and she then finally looked at Will.

"Oh, yeah-um i'm- i'm fine. Yeah."

Will grinned.

"Are you having some lunch today?" He asked.

"Yeah"

"Let's go then!"

-
El gulped hardly as she walked to the table where the gang was having lunch. Will sat next to Lucas and Max, in front of them sat Dustin and Mike.

Mike was laughing, again, about something that Max had said.

El clenched her jaw. With tray in hand, she sat down next to Mike.

Mike snapped his head to her and smiled.

"Hey babe" He kissed her cheek.

"Hey, you okay?" He whispered so only she could her, rubbing his hand up and down her back.

"Yeah" She faked smile.

-

"No but seriously Mike, you have to come to our next sleepover, they're awesome." Max said.

El didn't look away from her salad.

"Yeah, I will, don't worry"

"You promise?" She lightly chuckled.

Eleven's heart stopped for a second and she looked up at Mike, waiting for his response.

"I promise" He grinned at her.

El suddenly stood up and grabbed her bag, walking out of the cafeteria. Everyone looked at her and Mike furrowed his eyebrows.

"What's wrong with her?" Dustin asked.

"I don't kn- El! Where are you going?" Mike shouted, but she just kept walking.

Mike quickly stood up, walking quickly behind her. He followed her through the hallways.

"El! El! Where are you going?" Mike shouted.

El kept walking. Mike scoffed in frustration and started sprinting to her.

He grabbed her arm and turned her around.

"El, what the-"

He stopped himself as he saw her glossy eyes and a tear starting to fall down her cheek. She quickly wiped it away and crossed her arms, not looking at the boy in front of him.

"What's wrong, El?" He said softly.

"Nothing"

"El" He lifted her chin so she was looking at him.

"What's wrong" He repeated.

"I told you. Nothing. Why don't you go and have some laughs and make some promises with Max, huh?"

Mike furrowed his eyebrows.

"Wait what? El... are you jealous of Max?"

El scoffed. "Do you really think I'm that stupid? It's obvious you like her".

Mike's eyes widened.

"El. No. I don't. I don't like her, why the fuck would you think that?"

"The laughs, the jokes... Mike the whole promise thing is our thing. Lately you've been hanging out a lot with her"

"No, El, you're getting all of this in the wrong way."

El sighed and looked down. Mike grabbed her hands and rubbed his thumbs against her skin.

El looked up at him.

"Listen. Last year, when I thought you were dead, Max came into the group. I wasn't really happy about it, since I felt as if you were being replaced. And... well. I felt, you know, a little jealous... Lucas and Dustin liked someone, and the person I liked was gone..."

El looked up at him with sad eyes. He was having such a bad time when she wasn't there. She felt guilty.

"I snapped a lot when Max was around, I didn't treat her well. I was wrong, I shouldn't have treated her like that since she did nothing, so I decided to start over and apologize to her. El, she's just a friend to me, I promise. I- I love you. Only you."

El couldn't contain her smile, as she looked down. Mike grinned and pulled her to him, wrapping his arms around her.

"I love you too. I'm sorry, I got real stupid" She said against his chest.

"Nah, it's fine. Plus, you are cute when you get jealous. Do you know that your nose and cheeks turn red? Just like in the fall"

El pulled back and playfully hit his chest.

"I said you look cute!" He chuckled.

"You're such a mouthbreather. You're lucky I love you" She placed her arms around his neck and snuggled her face in the crook of it.

"I really am lucky" He said, wrapping his arms around her waist and burying his face on her shoulder.

-

There ya go! A nice long one shot;) I hope you enjoyed. Love u all!
-milxvenn