do you want to figure it out?

(lowercase intended)

it'd been a few months since el closed the gate for good. she was obliged to stay at the cabin for 'at least one more year'. (the only night she was aloud to leave had been the snowball night)

and that killed her.

now that her friends— and mike— knew about her, all she wanted was to spend time with them everyday.

but instead, they were only aloud to visit her once a week; usually on saturdays.

of course, neither for mike or el— once a week wasn't enough.

so, twice (or more) a week, after school, mike would sneak into the cabin, whilst hopper was working, and he would stay with her the whole afternoon.

both mike and el thought hopper was completely oblivious about the situation— but hopper was smart. he knew mike was spending more time than he should with her.

every night that he came back home, el would be in her usual mood. but what gave away that mike visited her was that some nights, when he came back from work, his daughter would be all bubbly and more happy than usual.

and seeing her like that because of that wheeler boy made him slightly grumpy , but he also found it quite adorable.

that's why he let it go. after all, she deserved feeling bubbly and happier than usual, and even if it was because of mike wheeler, he'd have to learn to live with it.

"yeah, that one"

mike nodded, placing the vinyl on the record player. he sighed as he sat down on the floor, next to el, their backs against the couch. el placed her head back on his shoulder as she kept reading her book.

el was practicing on writing, reading and even some maths and science, mike would help her a lot.

meanwhile mike, read some worksheets he was working on for school.

mike leaned his head against hers.

"mike?"

"mhm?"

"i'm scared" she confessed.

mike let his papers down and looked down at her with furrowed eyebrows. she lifted her head up.

"what are you scared of?"

"what- what if i really have a wound? what if it spreads? what if it k-"

"hey hey hey" he said, taking her face in his hands.

"you don't have a wound. it won't spread. it won't kill you. okay? i promise." he said, slowly but firm.

el sniffled and nodded, he wrapped his arms around her.

every breath you take,
and every move you make.

"our song" she said quietly, smiling against his shoulder.

mike grinned. suddenly, he stood up and stuck his hand out to her.

"do you wanna figure it out?" he mocked himself.

el giggled and nodded, taking his hand and standing up.

they swayed to the music for a while, her head resting on his shoulder.

"el?"

she looked up at him, her face just inches away from his.

i dream at night
i can only see your face

"yeah?"

she looked so beautiful, her curls on the sides of her face, her big brown eyes looking back at his, her lips, her little round nose. he knew, this was the perfect moment.

"i love you"

the words rolled out of his tongue and her face softened completely. he was almost scared that he had screwed up.

"really?" she breathed.

he softly chuckled. "yes. of course i do, el. and i know we're young. but i... feel it"

el smiled a smile that mike absolutely adored. a smile that was just for him. (literally. their friends always teased the pair, saying that el would give mike 'special smiles')

"i.. i love you too, mike"

mike's heart completely melt, he tightened his grip on her waist, just because for a second, and only for a second, he had to make sure she was really there with him. that this wasn't a dream.

and it wasn't.

i look around but it's you i can't replace,
i feel so cold and i long for your embrace

el stood on her tip toes and planted a peck on his lips, unsure if he was okay with it.

i keep crying,
baby, baby, please

mike leaned down, brushing his lips against hers as they looked at each other once more, before closing their eyes and pressing his lips against hers once more, forming a long and soft kiss.

their stomachs were about to explode with butterflies as they leaned back the slightest bit, their foreheads touching as they continued swaying to the music, smiles planted on their faces.

déjà vu.

-

oml i'm so proud of this one. i hope ya'll enjoyed. also, this book is coming slowly to an end, but don't worry cs i'll sure make a second book to this one! thank you for reading. i love you all. xx