Chapter 1- Part One

Alyssa

Today was not only my first day of college, but it was also an introduction to living life on my own.

On our way to the NYU campus, I looked back at the place I called home for the past 3 years. I'm going to miss living here. 

I recall the first time I moved to New York, it was after my parents' separation.

I moved here when I was 15 to get a fresh start with my mother. My father got remarried and had a new family in Florida, and my mother wanted a new slate in a state where no memories of her past were.

Because of the separation, I started seeing my father less which was heartbreaking for me. He was my rock and I was closer to him than my mother which is quite ironic since my mother and I had more things in common, in comparison to my father and I. He would always be the one I could talk to and so when he left a piece of me left with him.

I was thankful for my wonderful mother though, who I stayed with since the separation. She's always working and fighting hard for me to get where I want to be in life.

So in return, I worked hard in school and sent out many applications to colleges in hope of getting scholarships to take the stress off my parents. I was later accepted to the New York University and luckily obtained a scholarship.

The scholarship I received wasn't a full ride, so my parents would still have to take care of little things for me like paying my dorm bills etc. However, it was still a big deal for them.

I watched the city pass by and the places I knew slipped further away from my sight. I didn't even realize when the car halted, forcing me to step out to face the unknown.

It wasn't the work I was afraid of, but rather the new people I would meet here and the new experiences I would face and how it would all impact my life forever since I would be growing up while here.

The things I've heard about college are wild. This was an institution that would either make you or break you. It shaped us into becoming ready for the real world, to be the adults that we needed to be.

My mother helped me to carry my luggage on campus while we were guided to my dorm room. According to the campus guide, I would be sharing a room with another young lady around my age.

I opened the door to my dorm, and surprisingly my roommate was home. She was brushing her brunette hair meticulously before her blue eyes stared up at me in the mirror in confusion.

I wasn't set to arrive until two days from now, thus, why she's surprised by my arrival.

I know they did not room me with a white girl.

"Hi, you must be Alyssa-Marie, I'm Amanda, it's nice to meet you," she said standing to greet me.

"Nice to meet you too and you can just call me Alyssa," I responded while looking around the room awkwardly.

"If you ever need anything just ask, I'll be happy to show you around so don't be shy. As of right now, I'm sorry I can't help you get settled in but I have to go get my schedule, we'll talk later?" I nodded then Amanda waved and left.

"Is that your roommate? she seems nice," my mother said as she comes up minutes later after her. I mentally rolled my eyes.

There goes my mother unnoticeable highlighting the crowd she wants me to hang with.

After our long conversation with each other, basically my mother telling me what I'm here to do, soon after she left.

I took this opportunity to unpack my bags and put my clothes away. Since classes don't start until about Wednesday, I was free until then. So I decided to take a little nap.

~~~

Elijah

On another side of town

My brother's and I stood on the docks overseeing the shipment of cocaine that was coming in.

Daniel O Neil, had the drugs brought over via ship because it was easier that way. They could hide them in food barrels and the coast guards would be too lazy to check what was at the bottom.

The workmen turned the barrels over and took out the kilos of coke from the bottom.

By the time they were finished with the unpacking process, O'Neil brought them over so that I could test it out.

I used a knife and ripped open one of the satchels of coke.

"How pure is this?" I asked.

"One hundred percent pure," Daniel replied.

I only hummed in response.

I took a pinch of the white substance up and just as I was about to taste it, I saw some suspicious movement out of my peripheral.

I pulled out my 45 and shot the guy in both of his legs, which caused him to fall to the ground.

I shoot and ask questions after, you'll soon learn that that's my philosophy.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?"

I turned to my brothers, "Watch him," I motioned to Daniel before walking over to the man on the ground.

"Were you trying to steal from me?" I asked.

He just laid there on the ground hissing from the pain. I smiled before swiftly kicking him in the face and then picking him up.

I pushed the barrel of my gun under his chin and stared at his familiar face. He was Daniel's right hand man, which meant Daniel was trying to mask away some of my shipments.

"Since you tried to steal from me O'Neil, I'm not paying for this shipment, and I need my next shipment in twenty...four...hours, are we clear?"

"The shipments can't get here that fast," he replied through gritted teeth.

"Oh, so we're not clear?"

I dug my gun deeper under the guy's chin before I blew off his head completely. Brain matter and blood splattered onto my face and over my expensive suit.

I dropped his body to the ground carelessly.

I wiped the blood from my face using my hand.

"Are we any clearer now? Get me my stuff here in twenty four hours or that will be you on the ground," I flashed the blood on my gun off on him before I walked away, then I suddenly turned back.

"Oh, and let it be known that this is our last deal together and you will face the consequences severely for stealing from me."

I gave him my back as I walked away from the docks.

This is my world, where guns do the talking.

~~~

A/N: The point of view of the book changes when I indicate so.