Chapter 2

I felt absolutely rejuvenated after my morning shower. I put on my clothes and got my hair together before I prepared myself for my classes. I left my room with the intention to grab some breakfast at a cafe nearby.

After breakfast, I arrived early and took a seat before the swarm of students had caused traffic in the hallways.

The lecturer Mr. Harrison, had introduced himself before he jumped right into the topic of discussing the book that we would be studying for this semester.

This was how I met a new friend, Jada, who was a beautiful, dark skinned girl with an array of ear piercings. Her points on the book were so good that it gravitated me to her. I introduced myself and we continued a long conversation after that.

"Are you originally from New York?"

"I've lived in Florida since I was a child but I moved here about three years ago. So you could say that I've been here for a while," I answer.

She nods to show that she's attentively listening, "New York is the best place to go to college you'll love it here, trust me," she says confidently before we turn our attention back to the lecturer.

We walk out of class together side by side.

She questioned me about things such as the other classes that I took, what my major was and if I'm living on campus.

She was so bubbly as she expressed to me in a lot of words that she wanted to become a journalist.

I arrived at the hall where my dorm room was located without even realizing. We exchanged numbers with the hopes of hanging out sometime outside of class. She ensured me that she would show me around the area soon and I held her to that promise.

~

After getting dressed, I picked up my purse and left my dorm room. I texted Amanda to let her know that I would be there in the next 10 minutes.

She invited me to have lunch with her boyfriend and his friend. At first I declined, but after her persistent persuasion I decided to tag along.

I could instantly find Amanda after hearing her eruption of laughter from the back of the cafe. I walked over to the table and I greet everyone before sitting down.

"So guys, this is my roommate Alyssa," she announces. "She doesn't really know this side of NYC so we gotta show her around."

Both boys greet me as I sit beside Amanda.

The guy sitting in front of me looks at me for a minute too long before he turns away.

"This, is my boyfriend Nate," Amanda says referring to the boyishly handsome guy who was sitting in front of her.

"And this is his best friend Elijah," she said causing me to look at him again.

I can't see much of his face because of the shades that are covering his eyes. But from what I can see, I make out that he's probably handsome. His body is lean yet muscular making him look sexy and he's dressed well, expensively for that matter and it gives me an insight on his background.

He lifts his head to match my stare and I've never felt so insecure by someone looking at me before. I visibly shrink from how intimidated I feel.

Somehow I could sense a bad aura radiating from him. I don't know if my senses were off or maybe I'm just tripping but something wasn't right with him at all.

His stare felt cold and caused a shiver to run down my spine. It's like he was secretly challenging me to continue looking at him.

I guess he could sense that I was trying to figure him out because he shook his head and the corner of his lips lifted before he took a sip of his coffee that the waitress had just brought out for him.

"So Alyssa, what are you studying?" asks Nate.

"I'm studying law and I'm minoring in psychology."

"Ambitious," he says before sipping his strawberry shake. "Wish you the best of luck."

Amanda and Nate tune us out while they talk about their day to each other. Now I've learnt my lesson, never go out with a couple.

Elijah just sits eating his sandwich and typing on his phone and is so quiet for the most part that Nate kept looking over at him.

He seemed like he wanted to leave but he was waiting on the right time to do so.

I later find out that both Elijah and Nate are final year students. Amanda also makes it her responsibility to keep the conversation flowing as both boys talk in hushed whispers to each other.

He received a message and then he was gone from our table. That's when Amanda really started talking.

According to Amanda, Elijah was from a big Italian family who owned many well know enterprises. I couldn't help but wonder if Amanda was trying to set us up, but I could be wrong.

Although it would explain why she was telling me all these things about him.

During it all Amanda and I talked. I became very fond of her and I picked up on the type of person she was. She had a warm personality, nice and bubbly but I also got the sense that she was very mature, thus, why an older guy wanted something serious with her.

We became friends that instant and I was happy to have her as my roommate. I could see myself having a lot of fun with her.

Elijah returned and slid into his seat so quietly that if it wasn't for me watching him, I probably wouldn't have known he was gone.

As soon as the evening came to an end, I got my purse and paid for what I ate.

We all got up to leave, since we had our classes to go to. I try to sneak one last peak at Elijah but he catches me in the midst of doing so causing me to jump.

The way his head snapped in my direction made me wish the floor would open up and take me in.

His eyebrows raised at me like he was saying I caught you yet again staring at me. I quickly looked away from him before going on my way.

I announce to them that I'm leaving before I walk out of the cafe and towards the school's campus without so much as taking a glancing back.

_____________________________________________