Chapter 40

We arrived in New York at four a.m and unfortunately we couldn't go to sleep. Jada, Amanda and Nate had gone home after landing. Jada seemed to sense that something was wrong but she never questioned it. Everyone else, including me, gathered in the living room of Elijah's house

I listened in as they spoke in hushed tones.

"I never expected this to happen at all, I thought dad would at least live for another ten years. Whoever did this must pay," Franco said.

"Hypothetically speaking but, I think that there is someone wiping out the head of every crime family in New York," Elijah postulated.

"I can't help but agree on this, it only makes sense since Adriano the head of the Migliorini's died a week before," Santino said.

Elijah sighed, his eyes wandered across the room while I quickly busied myself with my phone before his eyes paused on me recognizing that I was still here.

"Baby why don't you go get some rest." His chin pointed to the stairs.

I raised my head to look at him, "Are you sure? Don't you need anything else?"

"No this is my last cup of coffee," he said then I nodded and went upstairs reluctantly.

I made a stop at the guest room to check on Isabella. She's been crying her eyes out since she found out and I just can't imagine what it must feel like to lose your significant other.

I retire to bed but I don't sleep, I lay in bed staring at the lamp on the nightstand appreciating the needed silence. After about two hours, Elijah joins me in bed wrapping his arm around my stomach tightly and nuzzling his head between my shoulders.

His gesture reminds me that I might be pregnant and needed to visit a doctor pronto.

I felt the light touch of his lips to the exposed silver of my shoulder and I snuggled deeper into him to let him know that I was awake.

"Are you okay?" I questioned.

"I'm fine Alyssa- Marie," he mumbled into my hair. Whenever I annoyed him, he annoyed me by calling me by my full name.

I turned around to face him, then I used my thumb to trace the worry lines around his mouth.

"You don't seem so fine to me."

He sighed before pulling my right leg on top of him, "I'm just a bit worried about everything. Pretty soon I'm going to be the Capo di Tutti Capi. I'm going to be the most powerful man in New York but with power comes responsibility and money, and with money there comes more haters that I have to protect my family and you from."

I thought about the danger my life would be in. I couldn't even think about myself anymore as I now had a baby growing inside of me.

I don't think this environment would be ideal or safe for him or her especially now that he was to be the Mafia King.

Maybe I should leave America and go somewhere far away from Elijah and his mess and raise our child in a safer environment.

I need to think about this.

The chiming of the doorbell disrupted my train of thought and Elijah grunted frustratedly.

"I was literally on the brink of sleep," he grumbled before jumping out of bed to answer the door.

I heard the voice of a female, so being the curious person that I was, I went downstairs to see who it was.

The woman appeared to be younger than me, she had brunette hair and her hazel eyes shone on her round face. She was incredibly beautiful.