Chapter 20

Elijah

Finally, we arrived at Alyssa's mother's house and I saw the curly haired short woman standing at the doorway excitedly waiting to see who her daughter had arrived with.

"Is this it?" I asked her after gently shaking her awake. I had never been to this side of New York before that's for sure.

"Yeah that giddy lady is definitely my mother and I'm embarrassed already."

She gets out of the car and goes towards her mother who meets her halfway and pulls her daughter into a tight hug.

I step out of the car and start unloading the bags from the trunk. I could feel eyes on me as I did so, and when I spun around I saw the curious looks shot my way by Marie.

I picked up the bags and walked towards the females who stood on spot talking.

As soon as I stood beside Alyssa she cleared her throat nervously ready to introduce me.

"Mommy, this is my boyfriend, Elijah Rossini."

Marie's eyebrows raised at the word boyfriend and I could tell that she was surprised.

I extended my hand to shake her's after shifting Alyssa's bag to my other hand.

"Nice to meet you Ms. Scott," I said.

"Mhmm," she replied.

"Let's go inside so I can show you which rooms to put the bags," she said and I followed her inside.

She showed me to Alyssa's room and then my room which was a guest room.

I heard talking as I lightly trod down the stairs. Over the years I've become a light walker because of my training for the mafia.

"I can't believe that boy is your boyfriend, when I heard you say boyfriend I thought you meant a nice dark fella not that white ass boy. Why are you with him?"

"Because he treats me good and I like him," Alyssa replies matter of factly.

"Treats you good? The only thing I've ever known white people doing to black people is using and abusing them."

"Ma please stop."

"Please stop? Child I'm telling you what's good for you, after the holidays you will break up with that boy, you hear me?

What does this white man know about our struggle as a race? You need to get someone you can relate to just look at how he's dressed, I know that boy's got more money than what we dream of. This is not realistic baby get out before he uses you," she finished her rant.

I step out to defend myself before anything else bad can be said against me.

"Actually Ms. Scott, I have nothing but respect for your daughter she's like no one I've ever been with before and that's why I like her. Not because I want to try something new or use and abuse her like you've been singing on but because I genuinely like her. Yes, you're right, I don't understand and I will never fully understand the struggles you face as a people because I'm not apart of you. However, I would never allow someone to disrespect her or call her names, so you need to stop talking because you know nothing about me."