Chapter 6

My day started with a phone call from my mother.

"Hello child how you do?" She asked.

"I'm fine ma," I responded.

"How is school?"

I paused, wondering how to answer this question so I don't seem ungrateful. "Good so far, I'm doing what needs to be done to get the required grades."

"Good, good." I could just imagine her nodding in agreement.

"So that's it anything else you want to tell me?"

"Nothing else ma just school work. You know I am antisocial."

"Baby, I know I always advise you to take this school thing seriously but you need to go out and have fun, you hear?"

"Mommy I'm alright me say."

"I didn't say you weren't. Go out, have fun with friends and even get a little boyfriend who you can introduce me to by the time Thanksgiving comes."

"Ma, please stop, I have to go to class now."

"Alright baby, have a good day love you," she said chuckling lightly.

"Love you too have a good day at work."

She hung up after sending a long kissy sound through the phone. I shook my head before picking up my bag and heading to my literature class.

~

"You okay? You seem off," Jada said.

"No, I'm good. It's just that my mom called this morning asking about how things are going. Can you believe my 40 year old mother is telling me to go outside? I really need to get a life."

"Hmm, you should've said something to me before if you're looking for some fun."

"Oh yeah, and where do you suppose I find this fun?"

"There's a party tonight, if you didn't notice it's Friday and there's a party keeps every week in college."

"I was studying when that was happening." Jada gives me a disgusted look and I laugh.

"Come out tonight, I'll come for you and you'll experience a real college party."

"Okay I will," I answer just before my lecturer begins talking signaling the end of our conversation.

~~~

I was dressed and now anxiously packing all my essentials in my purse before I sit on my bed scrolling through my phone and waiting for Jada to call me.

As soon as she did, I put my phone in my bag and went out front to meet her.

"You look great girl," she says and I beam proudly.

"Thank you, you look great too."

"Thanks, let's go though before it gets more crowded and we can't get in."